Why is riding on the footpath an offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
The exclusion fear is not just the fear of legal exclusion. Build a crap cycle path by the side of a road, complete with give way signs at every junction and many drivers expect you to use it. That expectation will get increasingly tested by drivers' insurance companies. Sooner or later it will erode our simple right to use our roads.

I was about to write something like this.

IF the cycle paths that were built in the UK were clear of obstruction, had right of way over side roads and were properly maintained including gritting in the winter, then maybe I'd agree with our using footpaths that came up to that standard. But they don't and they don't by a huge margin. Riding on a footpath is damn dangerous in a built up are with lots of side roads. Out on the open road where little if any foot traffic ventures they can be littered with glass, litter and have a surface akin to riding on rubble.

If we are not happy about riding on a particular road then maybe using an under used footpath will make you feel safer. But in the long run it raises the already common perception that we shouldn't be on the road.

Sorry about your injury @wiggydiggy but the answer is not removing you from the road, but making the road safer for you.

You've not read it either then:whistle:

Not me, someone I dont know - crushed on Friday 1530ish in a 'serious' accident....

I will say BTW I agree completely with sticking to the road, as I am allowed to, but I do go out of my way to avoid certain roads like this one I highlighted.

Crankarm

Guru
Yea it could, but the point I am trying to make is many cyclists seem to have this righteous attitude, I do about 7,000 miles a year and I see more disregard for road/path rules committed by cyclists, I also see per 100 more bad cycling that is likely to cause injury than per 100 cars/vans/trucks, last night on my way home from Wakefield, I saw a guy on a mountain bike go down the out side of a waiting queue of traffic of which i was part of, go through a red light at speed, then speed up the central part of a crossing cross on the pedestrian crossing and then re join the road, I have had bike jump of paths into my path, I have seen a cyclist riding a bike on a FOOTpath no hands drinking smoking and on the phone (better rider than me I couldn't do it) I see cyclist on paths cross a junction as in from one path to the next, then use a zebra to get to the other side, so many things its no wonder car drivers have no respect when I as a cyclist see all this, you may say but these are not cyclists but they are, like I said I dont use cycle paths I personal think most cycle lanes are a waste of money certainly the one from here to Wakefield is car its a discretionary one not maintained as a cycle lane surface breaking up ect and stops where it would be needed most on a slight climb but quite steep which has the narrowest of footpaths next to it single file pedestrians at best. I know that most uses of shared path ways are responsible like most road users, but cyclists have a bad reputation, why do you think that is, and how can we as cyclists correct the bad cycling, dont get me wrong I am not a perfect cyclist, quite bad sometimes but I never try to put others at risk.

So what do you expect us to do about these errant cyclists you claim to have seen?

You clearly have a car and are a driver, so how do explain that being a driver that you are part of a group that kills over 2000 people every year and seriously injures thousands more? I see so many drivers speeding, tail gating, driving and dialling, drink driving, driving with defective cars, over taking on blind bends, RLJing, crashing off the roads, crashing into other cars, cyclists and pedestrians; it's all your fault! Come on, what you going to do about these errant drivers?!

"dont get me wrong I am not a perfect cyclist, quite bad sometimes but I never try to put others at risk"

You are a troll.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 3143071, member: 30090"]No, no and no. Peds sit above cyclists in the give way of things. If you have to use an airzound on a ped then YOU are doing something wrong. Why revert to some 110db horn when an 'excuse me' or 'on your right' will suffice?[/QUOTE]

Because you live in this nostalgic 1930s Britain where cyclists wear tweeds and every one greets each other as if in a Jane Austen novel "How do you do?" You carry on with your antiquated geriatric "Excuse me" and I'll carry on with my Airzound but I bet you will have a collision before me. Your approach is totally inadequate in this modern age of travel be it on the roads or cycle paths. Given that most peds and cyclists have ear phones glued into their heads how do you suggest that you attract their attention to your presence or a car, van, bus or tipper truck about to drive over you?

Crankarm

Guru
I think pedestrians are to blame for not knowing how to use shared paths. They tend to walk using the full width of the path and people with dogs with extending dog leads are the worst! Those leads are lethal as usually, their master is on one side of the path and the dog on the other, with that thin lead between the two.

Agree with all the above and especially the latter. They are a frikin' menace. Some months ago now some stupid woman was doing just this on the GBW and I unwittingly cycled between her and dog, unfortunately didn't use the Airzound on this occasion and didn't see the long extendable lead going diagonally across the whole width of the path, ended up dragging the mutt along, the long lead becoming all tangled in my front wheel and mudguard and bringing me to stop. I was not happy, bending my front mudguard and she was shouting all sorts of abuse at me, at me, when it was her bloody fault! The dozy *&£$! I think the dog was ok. It was one of those small yappy things that won't shut up. Anyway it could have been a salami sausage dog if it had gone through my wheel.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Because you live in this nostalgic 1930s Britain where cyclists wear tweeds and every one greets each other as if in a Jane Austen novel "How do you do?" You carry on with your antiquated geriatric "Excuse me" and I'll carry on with my Airzound but I bet you will have a collision before me. Your approach is totally inadequate in this modern age of travel be it on the roads or cycle paths. Given that most peds and cyclists have ear phones glued into their heads how do you suggest that you attract their attention to your presence or a car, van, bus or tipper truck about to drive over you?

I don't think it's anything to do with the 1930's just common decency surely? I can't imagine any possible circumstance where use of an airzound on peds could be deemed necessary. Peds dawdle- it's what they do- and have every right to do, and it's our responsibility to look out for them I would have thought.

Tomorrow morning, instead of a blast on the horn Crankers, try a 'morning, lovely day' instead- you might find you prefer it! :thumbsup:

Crankarm

Guru
I don't think it's anything to do with the 1930's just common decency surely? I can't imagine any possible circumstance where use of an airzound on peds could be deemed necessary. Peds dawdle- it's what they do- and have every right to do, and it's our responsibility to look out for them I would have thought.

Tomorrow morning, instead of a blast on the horn Crankers, try a 'morning, lovely day' instead- you might find you prefer it! :thumbsup:

No chance. I would prefer to stay up right. And I do look out for pedestrians. When I see them and where I think there is a potential for collision I warn them using my horn, which is what you would do in a car. In any case you haven't explained how you would alert other road users like cars, vans, etc to your presence? Where do you ride, some sort of idyllic village in Midsummer Murders?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
the answer is not removing you from the road, but making the road safer for you.
Any viable ideas on how to achieve this?
Personally, on my commute, that is when I'm cycling to go places not bimbling about taking pictures :whistle: I dislike having to detour through parks, shared paths, dubious cycle tracks, but what can I do?
Getting beeped off the road, righteous with my cycle training, is stressing me out. Accommodating traffic gets you close passes, proper road positioning gets you shouted at from car windows.
Drivers don't want cyclists on the roads, walkers don't want them in the parks - see the recent proposal by Glasgow City council to limit bike speed in parks at 5mph.
Really, more dedicated segregated infrastructures seem to be the solution for us utilitarians. The roadies could of course carry on as they are, I think the fear of not being allowed on the roads if there are other facilities is a bit far fetched.
Did this happen in other countries where cycling is more mainstream?

Crankarm

Guru
Probably not very dissimilar spots to you I guess. I just don't go out every day spoiling for a fight!

No, you just start them on internet forums. Your assumptions and prejudices not mine claiming that I go out spoiling for a fight. I don't, but perhaps you would if you had one. You wouldn't be retired or over 60 years old by any chance?

Crankarm

Guru
What you would do in a car, perhaps. What I would do in a car is what I would do on a bike, which is slow down and be prepared to stop or to take avoiding action.

Where have I said that I do not do this? It is my impression that your assumption of me is that I don't do this which is wrong. Just because I have an Airzound doesn't mean I don't take care around pedestrians. The wrong assumptions are yours. And in a car you have a horn to alert others to your presence where there may be a risk of collision. Use of it does not mean you drive less cautiously or prudently. Get over it, it is a horn a warning device!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom