Why is the condition Numb Nuts called something that is isn't ?

Do you periodically suffer with the inappropriately named NUMB NUTS condition ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi to you all out there. NUMB NUTS my ARSE !!!
The sensation is more correctly "Where has my willy disappeared to" ? IT IS NOT PLEASANT.
This is an issue that is not just confined to the male of the species although women are devoid of one they still have a Perineum.
The Perineum is the rather small area between the anus and the base of the penis and in females the anus and the vagina.
It is loaded with nerves and pressure on those nerves caused by body weight onto the saddle is what causes the loss of sensation or the more unwelcome feeling of disappearing/disappeared willy.
The pressure relief channels/cut-outs on most modern saddles whilst helping to relieve the problem,they sadly do not appear to eradicate it.
Could the answer be slightly wider and slightly longer full openings ?

My very first encounter with this very unwelcome condition was way back in the early 60's when I rode a Brooks Swallow leather saddle on my now much missed 1937 Hetchins (Curly) Vibrant Triangle Track Frame.

drummerbod

Don't suffer with it myself but then I have a big ass saddle! I also vary my position as much as possible and lift myself off the seat whenever possible. Probably easier as I do a lot of off road.

Is it harder (cough) for pure road cyclists?

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have had it occasionally, no it isn't very nice. You'll encounter it more on road than off-road as you're sitting on the saddle almost permanently on-road. Just stretching and lifting off the saddle for a few seconds periodically will almost always prevent it.

MiK1138

Veteran
Hi to you all out there. NUMB NUTS my ARSE !!!
The sensation is more correctly "Where has my willy disappeared to" ? IT IS NOT PLEASANT.
This is an issue that is not just confined to the male of the species although women are devoid of one they still have a Perineum.
The Perineum is the rather small area between the anus and the base of the penis and in females the anus and the vagina.
It is loaded with nerves and pressure on those nerves caused by body weight onto the saddle is what causes the loss of sensation or the more unwelcome feeling of disappearing/disappeared willy.
The pressure relief channels/cut-outs on most modern saddles whilst helping to relieve the problem,they sadly do not appear to eradicate it.
Could the answer be slightly wider and slightly longer full openings ?

My very first encounter with this very unwelcome condition was way back in the early 60's when I rode a Brooks Swallow leather saddle on my now much missed 1937 Hetchins (Curly) Vibrant Triangle Track Frame.
I spend so much time out of the saddle it isnt relev.....ha ha ha ha ha AYE RIGHT. . but to be honest it isnt something i really suffer with

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to get it after 25/35 miles. After my bike was nicked I bought another road bike-different make-and never had it since :smile:
I do get a sore a"^&e and am trying different saddles hoping to cure that.

I used to get it after 25/35 miles. After my bike was nicked I bought another road bike-different make-and never had it since :smile:
I do get a sore a"^&e and am trying different saddles hoping to cure that.

Hi Dave7. It sounds like you are riding a saddle that is not accommodating your "SIT BONES" correctly.
The easiest way to know the correct measurement is to go to a SPECIALIZED specific retailer. There is one in Chester just on the way out of the city on the A51 (Broughton Road.
They have a rather neat cushion that is filled with a specific type/grade of foam that leaves dimples that are created by the pressure from your Sit Bones.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Dave7. It sounds like you are riding a saddle that is not accommodating your "SIT BONES" correctly.
The easiest way to know the correct measurement is to go to a SPECIALIZED specific retailer. There is one in Chester just on the way out of the city on the A51 (Broughton Road.
They have a rather neat cushion that is filled with a specific type/grade of foam that leaves dimples that are created by the pressure from your Sit Bones.
In principle I agree with you and I am looking into doing that. However, I have been on the "Specialized" website and find that when I look at a saddle and think "that looks good"........they are not in stock at Chester. I dont want to go all that way and find they have poor choice.

snorri

Legendary Member
This is the most confusing poll ever on CC, the thread title poses one question, another quite different question appears above the voting options. One could be expected to vote Yes, No or Sometimes, to the question in the OP but none of these options is available:sad:.
Why is there not a Don't Know option?:angry::angry:

:biggrin:

In principle I agree with you and I am looking into doing that. However, I have been on the "Specialized" website and find that when I look at a saddle and think "that looks good"........they are not in stock at Chester. I dont want to go all that way and find they have poor choice.

Hi Dave. NUDGE NUDGE,WINK WINK. Who is to say that you need to buy one of their saddles,the object of the exercise is to have your SIT BONES measured - after which you will then know what you are looking for.
If they have something that suites you - then wonderful,if not then you have a "Yardstick" to work from.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Lots of LBSs have the arse-ometers. Or a search engine of your preference will provide a multitude of links describing how to measure your own at home.

This is the most confusing poll ever on CC, the thread title poses one question, another quite different question appears above the voting options. One could be expected to vote Yes, No or Sometimes, to the question in the OP but none of these options is available:sad:.
Why is there not a Don't Know option?:angry::angry:

:biggrin:

Hi snorri. Unless you are looking at something that I cannot see - I cannot begin to imagine what is difficult - never mind confusing.

The question is as such the topic heading,DO YOU or DON't YOU suffer with the somewhat inappropriately named condition.

The first two potential responses are straight forward and for either MALE or FEMALE responses. AS a simple example - I was the first response and I ticked MALE.

The Third potential response allows for the females that MIGHT JUST not want to go public or for that matter it would allow for those that just might be a little confused and still confined to the toy closet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom