Why is this different ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
There are often reports on this forum of car drivers deliberately driving at (and into) cyclists, or trying to run them into the pavement etc. On most occasions, these are reported to the police but they're not interested in pursuing the matter.

Perhaps we should step off our bikes when being chased / threatened so that if they drove at us as pedestrians, the offence would be taken much more seriously....

Read this and see what I mean.

There should be absolutely zero tolerance of this type of behaviour no matter who it is aimed at. No question. I wonder if it was the CCTV evidence that made a difference in this case. All the more reason for everyone to get helmet cameras...:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maybe this was why they took it seriously, the guy has previous...

"Yesterday, Sim was handed a four-month jail term after it was revealed he had been on probation at the time for an axe attack."

"Sim - who undergoes anger management classes - then sped off. "

I think he should ask for his money back....

frog

All the more reason for everyone to get helmet cameras...

The subtle approach to helmet compulsion xx( Read all about in the next issue of the Highway Code - out every Wednesday from your local news agent :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
frog said:
The subtle approach to helmet compulsion xx( Read all about in the next issue of the Highway Code - out every Wednesday from your local news agent :biggrin:
Free helmet cam with Issue 1!

Road Fiddler

Arch said:
Maybe this was why they took it seriously, the guy has previous...

"Yesterday, Sim was handed a four-month jail term after it was revealed he had been on probation at the time for an axe attack."

"Sim - who undergoes anger management classes - then sped off. "

I think he should ask for his money back....

The guy certainly has issues hence the sentence, the fact he was on probation was the reason he went to jail not the fact he drove at someone, if you are on probation and you re offend you go to jail simple as that.

frog said:

I'm beginning to worry that people might think I get commission for helmet camera sales;)

Cab

Its no different, yet for some reason our police seem keen to silently condone assaulting cyclists with motor vehicles by taking no action, yet they take doing the same to pedestrians very seriously. Go figure.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I've had the honour of riding in a few countries, namely, UK, Egypt, France, Kuwait, Jordan & Palestine (briefly), and I would have to say that UK drivers seems to be IMHO the most impatient, and intolerant of other road users. Although Egyptians toot more but then they do that to everyone.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aye, there was interview with Sterling Moss (for those too young to know, he was the Lewis Hamilton of his day) on the radio the other day, he was saying that driving standards in the UK are appallingly low and that all drivers should be made to take a driving test every 5 years, bless him...

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Reminds me of the late Rikki Fulton as 'Supercop' in Scotch and Wry, with his classic line on stopping a speeder:

"Awright Stirlin' - oot the car !"

(New Year isn't the same without Rikki. I couldn't find the right Supercop sketch, but for those of you unfamiliar with Scotch & Wry, here's a classic sketch where a minister not used to drink gets accidentally drunk during a broadcast....)

73inch

magnatom said:
There should be absolutely zero tolerance of this type of behaviour no matter who it is aimed at. No question. I wonder if it was the CCTV evidence that made a difference in this case. All the more reason for everyone to get helmet cameras...;)

If I felt so threatened by aggressive drivers that I needed to wear a helmet cam to collect evidence, I'd give up cycling.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think it's a case of us feeling particularly threatened, but more feeling a sense of social responsibility. Bringing consequences to company and bus drivers means that they will be less willing to transgress in future, and that's clearly in order to protect other cyclists, not us helmet cam wearers. What's more, the effects of this will spread well beyond just the drivers who've been named and shamed to their bosses.

Top Bottom