Why no rear brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
electric assist regs state front and rear brakes ( all wheels braked) it will be nice if we could grow an extra hand to use the rear brake.
seriously, l have a doubler on the front brakes and the rear brake on the left as usual , it is nice to know there I a second if not poor brake available to stop , weight transfer on braking still lifts the rear wheel of a 100lb e-trike .
it would be nice if the idiot that wrote the rules knew what he/she was talking about . They might work on a bike but never on a trike .
Take the pedal reflectors situation nobody can see the pedal reflectors' on a recumbent

raleighnut

Legendary Member
electric assist regs state front and rear brakes ( all wheels braked) it will be nice if we could grow an extra hand to use the rear brake.
seriously, l have a doubler on the front brakes and the rear brake on the left as usual , it is nice to know there I a second if not poor brake available to stop , weight transfer on braking still lifts the rear wheel of a 100lb e-trike .
it would be nice if the idiot that wrote the rules knew what he/she was talking about . They might work on a bike but never on a trike .
Take the pedal reflectors situation nobody can see the pedal reflectors' on a recumbent
So technically my e-assist trike (upwrong) isn't legal as the front wheel drives and brakes, 1 of the rear wheels drives and brakes (silly 'band' brake on the axle) but the other rear wheel does bugger all except hold up that side of the trike.

technically yes

the ctc regs state all e-assist should have brakes on all wheels ( hence the velo will have front wheel discs and a transmission brake operating on both rear wheels )

Brakes
In the case of a pure pedal cycle (no electrical assistance) these regulations are so simple, that the only parts that matter are the brakes.

The basic requirement is for two efficient braking systems, by which the front wheel (or wheels) can be braked independently of the rear wheel (or wheels). This means that if there are two wheels at the front and/or the rear, the relevant system must act on the pair. It also means that the combined operation of front and rear brakes from one lever is not allowed - except as an extra braking system: additional to the two independent front and rear braking systems required by this law.

Each braking system is required to be in efficient working order, but apart from saying that a brake that bears directly upon a pneumatic tyre in not efficient, these regulations do not define how the brakes work or how they are operated. So back-pedal brakes are just as legal as the usual hand-levers. (You could even brake with your teeth if you could invent a way to do it efficiently!)

A lot of words are nevertheless devoted to wheels that cannot rotate independently of the pedals (i.e. no freewheel), the upshot of which is very simply that a fixed wheel drive counts as a braking system – on that wheel or wheels.

Don't blame me, blame the twit* that wrote the regulations

emma

* polite version

Last edited:
even these regs are NOT UP TO DATE and are displayed on the ctc website
These regulations, which were enacted in 1983 (Statutory Instrument No. 1168), defined a new type of vehicle under the Road Traffic Acts. Other legislation says who is permitted to ride an EAPC (anyone over the age of 14), where they may ride it (not defined, but presumed to be anywhere you can ride a normal pedal cycle) and how they ride it (just like a pedal cycle). See the pages on Construction & Use and Lighting regulations for more about that. The Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations simply set out the minimum criteria such a vehicle must satisfy – or else it will be regarded as some sort of electric motorbike (taxed, insured, used only by a licensed, helmeted rider etc.). These criteria are as follows:

• The vehicle must not weigh more than 40 kg if a solo bicycle, or 60 kg in the case of a tandem or tricycle.
  • The vehicle must be fitted with pedals, by which it can be propelled.
  • The vehicle must not be fitted with any sort of motor other than an electric motor.
  • The continuous rated output of the motor must not exceed 200 watts if fitted to a solo bicycle, or 250 watts in the case of a tandem or tricycle.
  • The motor must not propel the vehicle when it is travelling faster than 15 mph.
Not included in the above list, but required by Construction & Use regulations (so they ought to be listed since you can't legally use the thing otherwise!) are the following additional criteria:

• The vehicle must be fitted with a plate (where you can easily read it) showing the manufacturer's name, the nominal battery voltage and motor power output.
  • The power switch or control must default to off, requiring a constant intervention from the rider in order to maintain power assistance. (No power without pedalling, as required in some other countries, also satisfies this requirement.)
Note that these definitions do not include cycles with more than three wheels. So you cannot electrically assist a quadricycle without it becoming some kind of motor vehicle.

Vehicle weight, for the purpose of these regulations, is the weight of the cycle without a rider and no load other than 'the loose tools and equipment with which it is normally equipped'. Nominal battery voltage and continuous rated output are defined with reference to BS1727: 1971. Apparently this lets the peak output be a little higher than the number of watts specified above.

European legislation
Many other countries also allow a modicum of electrical assistance on pedal cycles, under similar but slightly different regulations of their own. Mostly they allow a bit more power (250W rather than 200W), with a fractionally higher motor cut-off speed of 25 kmph (15.5 mph) and up to four wheels. On the other hand, most countries additionally require that the motor must not propel the vehicle when the rider is not pedalling. This no power without pedalling type of EAPC is called a 'pedelec', as opposed to an 'E-bike' that will also go when the rider freewheels. I think that British experience proves that a speed limited motor is enough to keep an E-bike behaving like a pedal cycle, but other countries are insistent that the rider also pedals.

In 2004 a European Directive harmonised 'type approval' procedures for motorcycles whilst making an exemption for electrically assisted pedal cycles. Type approval comprises technical safety tests that a motor vehicle has to pass before it can be put on the market. Like the Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations, these tests are of concern to the manufacturer and retailer and not something the customer or user ordinarily has to bother about.

The EAPC exemption is based on the majority European definition of an EAPC, i.e. a pedelec. So all E-bikes now have to go through motor vehicle type approval before they can be sold in UK, including those that can be used just like pedal cycles once the customer gets them out of the shop. So there's not only a bigger market for pedelecs, they are also easier to put on the market, here as well as abroad. No power without pedalling is no problem for most people (except the very infirm), but some of these machines are slightly over-powered, up to a speed fractionally higher than UK law permits to be used – without all the paraphernalia of a motorbike. Fortunately, the police do not take any notice of this minor technical infringement and it seem likely that UK regulations will eventually be brought into line.

The current regs ARE ( july 2015 )

THEY have abandoned the weight limit on bikes , trikes etc to allow quads

the limit of motorization on only 2 or 3 wheels--- now quads are allowed
and have taken away the legal throttle on july 15 onwards e-bikes
so technically you cannot have a pedelec /throttle e-quad ,

so

WTF are they trying to do

in the words of Kat von Dee DILLIGAF

regards emma

I always wanted a barrow but they were always out of my reach ( price wise ) then 3 years ago when I started looking for one they were either
silly prices or so far up north they were not economical to pursue , hence I ended up with a tadpole , that one was not the best choice and I decided that I could do better myself and built my own .
If a barrow came up at the right price maybe I would grab it .

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Just bought a complete Bob Jackson to replace my elderly Higgins and have change out of £300. Surely that's not too dear?

if god wanted up to have 3 brakes he would have given us 3 hands .

On a serious note so what is the problem, fit a double lever for the fronts and a single lever for the rear
This is required by the eapc regs on e trikes.

conditions and use say only a rear brake is needed if the saddle height is under 2ft but l wouldn't ride a trike with one brake.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
So they want only "non modified" bikes BUT are insisting that you modify yours by adding an extra brake.:cursing:

Good luck on the sportive.
Quite a lot of the upright riders will be surprised when you whizz past them on the downhill bits.

Top Bottom