why not a 'bargains' forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

porridge said:
bargains don't have to be poorer quality, some very good quality gear is often sold off as clearance lines.

balzer69 said:
'cheap' is not the same as 'bargain'

these are both true. And often, the cheapest product for a particular need is perfectly sufficient and thus the optimum choice.
However, my general intention on threads like this is to persuade people that they shouldn't by default go for the cheapest thing they can get, because people seem to have an innate belief that cycling "should be a cheap activity".

bonj2

Nonsense. Cycling is as much flooded with labels and fashion as anything else (see Assos and Oakley).
I didn't say it isn't. But that doesn't mean that the products of those brands aren't good quality, indeed, better quality than lower priced rivals.
(You don't appear to be doing so yet, but don't confuse 'quality' with 'effectiveness' - just to pre-empt that...)

You know full well you can get some very good quality gear at low low prices if you know where to go.

What, like aldi? :angry: not...

historyman

I think this whole discussion could be made shorter if well-meaning people simply posted anything they consider to be a bargain. They could start a separate thread, or post on a relevant thread.
I'll give an example. Merino wool base layers. There's a thread on this somewhere here which I read with interest. I shelled out 90 pounds for 3 such items sold by Rapha. I quite like them, but a) i ****ING hate (excuse the French) manufacturers who plaster their logo all over their gear, so I have to wear THEIR name and not MINE on my chest. Actually, I'd rather not wear anybody's name there. Unless I'm part of a certain team (e.g. the charity bike ride I did this summer); ;) what they call 'cream' is pretty much a white colour; and c) it shows up my flabby male tits in an unflattering way if I wear this item uncovered.
In this context, I consider the base layers sold by Equip Your Trip @ 24 quid each to be a bargain, and more flattering to my middle-aged physique. I hope this is useful info. & am interested to read similar info.

bonj2

historyman said:
I think this whole discussion could be made shorter if well-meaning people simply posted anything they consider to be a bargain. They could start a separate thread, or post on a relevant thread.
I'll give an example. Merino wool base layers. There's a thread on this somewhere here which I read with interest. I shelled out 90 pounds for 3 such items sold by Rapha. I quite like them, but a) i ****ING hate (excuse the French) manufacturers who plaster their logo all over their gear, so I have to wear THEIR name and not MINE on my chest. Actually, I'd rather not wear anybody's name there. Unless I'm part of a certain team (e.g. the charity bike ride I did this summer); ;) what they call 'cream' is pretty much a white colour; and c) it shows up my flabby male tits in an unflattering way if I wear this item uncovered.
In this context, I consider the base layers sold by Equip Your Trip @ 24 quid each to be a bargain, and more flattering to my middle-aged physique. I hope this is useful info. & am interested to read similar info.

There's lots of things that technically would fit the definition of a 'bargain', for example aldi jackets - but I wouldn't post about them on the grounds that I consider them to be shoot! Largely due to the fact they ARE shoot!
I don't want to encourage people to buy them, because not only do you waste the purchase cost you also waste the time spent going there and the time spent having to replace it when it fails to do its job.

dodgy

Good grief, look, it's simple. A bargain is an item that has been significantly reduced and has previously been sold at the full price and bought by cyclists who don't feel they were ripped off. So for instance, you buy a Gore Tools jacket for £100 (like I did about 18 months ago), you like this jacket, no actually, you love this jacket and then you subsequently see it for £45 and buy another 2 (like I did). That's a bargain.

Stop with the Aldi nonsense, you all know what a bargain is, quit it for god's sake.

Dave.

historyman

I agree with Dodgy's definition. The kind of stuff i'm talking about is in no way cheap (circa 30 quid for a t-shirt type thing), but still better value for money 'cos lasts for ever & does a much better job. So when, having tried one that is 30 quid, i find a better one at 24 quid, that's a bargain.

bonj2

yeah - agree somewhat, but a 'bargain' to me has to be something that was also a good buy in and of itself, not just something that was surprisingly cheap for what it was. It doesn't matter how cheap it is if it's shoot - 'cos if so then it won't do the job it was bought to do and therefore any amount of money spent on it is money wasted down the drain, and the time spent buying it time wasted. End of.

GrahamG

Guru
historyman said:

Thanks for that Historyman - I have similar issues with logos and moobs :thumbsup: so the Equip Your Trip merino base layers look great!

JohnRedcoRn

for most stuff i havent found anywhere better than wiggle. Also cyclexpress are pretty good - when shopping i tend to compare similar items from these two. mostly wiggle comes out best, occasionally t'other one

bonj said:
yeah - agree somewhat, but a 'bargain' to me has to be something that was also a good buy in and of itself, not just something that was surprisingly cheap for what it was. It doesn't matter how cheap it is if it's shoot - 'cos if so then it won't do the job it was bought to do and therefore any amount of money spent on it is money wasted down the drain, and the time spent buying it time wasted. End of.

Hmmm ... I'm not so sure about that. Gebnerally I'd agree with you, and I dislike cheap and nasty as much as anyone else, but I bought an unbranded mini pump and saddlebag twelve years ago for a pound. I used the bag for ten years and I'm still using the pump to this day. It's my only pump. A pound well spent, I think.

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
Hmmm ... I'm not so sure about that. Gebnerally I'd agree with you, and I dislike cheap and nasty as much as anyone else, but I bought an unbranded mini pump and saddlebag twelve years ago for a pound. I used the bag for ten years and I'm still using the pump to this day. It's my only pump. A pound well spent, I think.

there are exceptions to the rule.

Top Bottom