Why shouldn't cyclists pay road tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I've long maintained that road vehicles should be taxed on the number of miles they do a year.
Advantages -
Heavier vehicles wear roads out faster.
The more miles they do, more emissions and also ref. point above.
May have encouraged a move towards lighter vehicles and encourage folk to drive fewer miles.
Hey ho - !:rolleyes:

Gwylan

Veteran
I've long maintained that road vehicles should be taxed on the number of miles they do a year.
Advantages -
May have encouraged a move towards lighter vehicles and encourage folk to drive fewer miles.

Rated per ton, none of your namby pamby tonnes and then per mile.
Milometer, odometer thingie reading at annual MOT is used for the levy. Damaged or missing odometer means a charge of 2x the average for your weight class.

Rated per ton, none of your namby pamby tonnes and then per mile.
Milometer, odometer thingie reading at annual MOT is used for the levy. Damaged or missing odometer means a charge of 2x the average for your weight class.

Which is fine - except that I would assume tha the market in devices to fiddle the mileage counter would take off
like the devices to fiddle the cutoff speed on ebikes

I presume some countries have introduced a "tax per mile/kilometer" concept - anyone know which ones and how it went?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Only motorways and some trunk roads are paid for out of general taxation. All the other roads are paid for from your council tax.
People! Read your council tax bill and know where your money is going!
Either way, we don't need to justify our 'entitlement' to use the roads, they are for all of us to use.

When you say 'from council tax', do you mean they're funded by the local/county council?

MontyVeda

Advantages -

Don't they already kind of do this through taxing fuel?

the further you go the more you buy and a quick google suggests around 50% of the pump price is tax.

The hating of cyclists exists primarily because too many car drivers are inpatient, entitled and not willing to share the roads with more vulnerable road users who they actually have to pay a bit more attention to.

Buses slow me down in my car a lot more than cyclists do. Buses are responsible for more oil and diesel being dripped into the road. So in theory people should be more hateful of buses then they should be of cyclists.

The hating of cyclists is part of a wider divide and rule initiative - we are encouraged to dislike:-

Migrants
Vegans
Public Sector workers
Public Sector pensions
Environmentalists
Lawyers
Scientists

Whilst are all busy despising each other - the real enemy remains at large and unoticed.

MontyVeda

They are all funded by us taxpayers!

yes i know that.

The question was, Are they solely funded by council tax (as stated in the post i quoted), or generally by local government? ...which have a number of revenue streams, council tax being just one.

Reactions: mjr
Advantages -

Pricing roads would make sense, although I appreciate it would mean tracking vehicles. A mile of road in a large city at 8 in the morning is clearly at a greater premium than a little used route between two villages in the lake district, so it would make sense to charge more depending on location and time. It also avoids penalising people who have to drive further because they live in a rural area, while discouraging people from driving in large cities (where journeys are shorter and generally alternatives are available) at busy times. Adding a different rate for a private vehicle and commercial vehicles would probably help as well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Tax should of course be based on the damage done to the road by the vehicle used.

70D3332B-487D-48E0-BFA7-DC75ECF9FCE4.jpeg

Top Bottom