Why shouldn't cyclists pay road tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All roads, with the exception of motorways and some trunk roads (which are funded by general taxation, of which VED plays a small part) are funded from council tax. Not business rates, parking charges and so on. Check with your local council where the money comes from, and where it goes. Go on, do it. Why are you asking me?
The OP raised the issue as to whether cyclists should pay 'road tax'. There is no such thing as 'road tax'. All roads, with the exception of motorways and some trunk roads (which are funded by general taxation, of which VED plays a small part) are funded from council tax.

Because it's not just council tax. You're insisting it is, which i why I'm asking you. However, you've clearly made your mind up. If you want to change it, check.

Mike_P

Guru
I'm always amused how in the whole debate horses never get mentioned; clip clopping along the road must cause far more damage than any number of cyclists and as for emissions...

Drago

Legendary Member
Im not interested in eating it so any germs or otherwise are an irrelevance.

It is an offence to deposit any item on or above a highway that might endanger or inconvenience a user of that highway.

As a motorcyclist I am not a fan of random horse eggs anywhere on the road, particularly on or near corners. 50 quid a turd should encourage them to clear it up.

Slick

Guru
Im not interested in eating it so any germs or otherwise are an irrelevance.

It is an offence to deposit any item on or above a highway that might endanger or inconvenience a user of that highway.

As a motorcyclist I am not a fan of random horse eggs anywhere on the road, particularly on or near corners. 50 quid a turd should encourage them to clear it up.

That could prove problematic to our mounted divisions but at least the up and coming coronation would raise a few quid for the coffers.

Oh, and that reminds me. People who use the road for overnight vehicle storage should pay an annual £1000 car tax premium.

Agreed. It's very strange that a public road can be used for the free storage of private property by a certain segment of the population, subsidised by everyone else.

Even more strange is the curiously entitled territorial response you get when they feel you are encroaching "their" space.

Oh, and that reminds me. People who use the road for overnight vehicle storage should pay an annual £1000 car tax premium.

If it is parked on the road then it should have "Road Tax" paid for it

I have seen some around that so not move for months and I have been tempted to check on them!

I do think that caravans, boats and suchlike should also have to pay a fee if they are parked on a road.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Agreed. There are many houses near me that are at least 2 car houses with little or no provision for parking. It is not something one considers when buying a car it seems, where am i going to park it for 90% of it's ownership? I know it's a waste of time and it will continue ad infinitum and many new builds have at least one parking space, but that is often already not enough. Roads and pavements are just extensions of car parks, despite in most cases being public property and often in the case of pavements causing pedestrians to travel in the roads to avoid them. There is something about that that gets on my wick...

Top Bottom