Why Tour of Britain only in England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keith Oates said:
The organisers can't cover the whole of the UK each year. This year they are going down to the South West area for the first time since it's resurrection. However as FM says the locals have to work for the privillege of having the race in their area. The towns in France also have to fight to get that race through their area so it's nothing new. BTW the race does have a stage in Scotland AGAIN this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith, there was a great,tough stage in Somerset/across Exmoor, last year!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Thanks Toshiba Boy, my memory must be on the way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I didn't hear anyone complaining when the Tour de France started in London last year, even though that's not in err... France. But to make the same people happy they will also be renaming The Tour de France next year. It will officially be (in translation of course) 'The Tour of Some Places in France and also Some Other Places Not in France That Will be Different Every Year'... :evil:

I wandered up the road & enjoyed watching them on their way into Glasgow last year. My boys are already pestering me to take them to see the start of stage 7 (Glasgow again) this year.

I haven't had the heart to tell my neighbours they're English......

wafflycat

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/therace_stage_pages/therace_stage_7_index.asp

It is in Scotland this year.

It did have a stage in Wales in 2004. Perhaps the Welsh contingent need to lobby their members of the Welsh Assembly to bring it to Wales again?

Flying_Monkey said:
I didn't hear anyone complaining when the Tour de France started in London last year, .....etc
If you wanted that to stand then the TdF would have to go everywhere, but not France. :rolleyes:
The Tour of Britain is an inclusive title. Missing out large chunks of Britain (is there a stage in Northern Island?) just looks stupid.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
What Rubbish! It's a 5 day tour that takes place in Britain. The 'Tour down Under' doesn't visit every place that could be thought of as 'Down Under'.

Just because we like to fantasize about the different regions of Britain being different countries, doesn't make any difference. It's a Tour, it's held in Britain; it's the Tour of Britain.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
The Tour of Britain is an inclusive title. Missing out large chunks of Britain (is there a stage in Northern Island?) just looks stupid.
Northern Ireland (I assume that's what you meant) isn't part of Britain.

Even the TdF doesn't visit all parts of France every year, and it's got 3 weeks to do it in, not 5 days.

andrew_s said:
Northern Ireland (I assume that's what you meant) isn't part of Britain.

Even the TdF doesn't visit all parts of France every year, and it's got 3 weeks to do it in, not 5 days.
Ah, I'm confusing the UK with Britain aren't I? Bloody hell, I'm local, no wonder tourists get confused...:ohmy:

But the TdF is named after a single country. The whole point of the original Tour was that it was a (very rough) circumnavigation of that geographical entity. The TdB is named after an entity which contains three countries (taking 'Britain' to mean the main island of the UK). So, the ToB, to be worthy of the name, needs to include Scotland, England and Wales. If it doesn't, then it isn't.
</Hippo mode>

Top Bottom