Why Tour of Britain only in England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I live in Wales and yet again the Tour of Britain seems to be missing us and Scotland. Why is this? We have some of the best and most challenging roads here west of Offas Dyke and north of the border. Why not just call it the Tour of England? When it was the milk race in its gold age it went through Wales and was really good and I can remember some spectacular finishes in Cardiff.
It would be great if they could do some of those really tough mountain roads in the Highlands of Scotland but they choose dull routes around the bleak townships of England. A great oppurtunity missed.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Why does this have to be explained to people every year?

It is based on how much commitment and cash the Regional Development Agencies (or devolved governments) put into it. No effort and no money means no stage. Wales did have a stage a couple of years ago as it happens. We had no stage in the North-east of England in the first few years, but we campaigned to get one and persuaded the RDA and local councils and this year we have one. You want it, do the same thing and stop complaining.

Keith Oates

Janner
The organisers can't cover the whole of the UK each year. This year they are going down to the South West area for the first time since it's resurrection. However as FM says the locals have to work for the privillege of having the race in their area. The towns in France also have to fight to get that race through their area so it's nothing new. BTW the race does have a stage in Scotland AGAIN this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob S

And there I was, stood by Leeds Castle, waiting to see the Leeds Classic go past.....I didn't see a single rider all day!!???!!!

BIGSESAL

I think they don't have it in Scotland because no one really went to watch it other than real cycling fans. I don't think the locals understood why the roads were closed.

I would really like to see it up North in our mountains.

Err, it is going to Scotland...
http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/therace_stage_pages/2008_route.asp

It's not going to Wales, almost certainly for the reasons FM states above - haven't the Welsh Assembly spent all their money on some golf match and a car rally instead ?

Anwering Welshman Ludwig's question with a contra-question...why is it that the 'Rally GB' is solely held in Wales ?

What happened to Kielder, Dalby, Grizedale, etc 'classic' stages in England and Scotland ?

The Welsh Assembly, Cardiff & Swansea councils, etc paid their money and got the rally, plus this golf match thing.
Now they've got nothing left for the ToB.

Top Bottom