Why wear a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cringles

I mostly wear my helmet just to keep the wind out of my ears, plus it keeps my head warm! Also it's a added bonus knowing there's a chance if you have a crash, it could potentially save your head from a nasty bump. I'm not sure if it should be compulsory or not. Still not sure where I stand on that.

If it does pass, and if I did venture out without my helmet. The chances of seeing traffic police in my town is slim. I doubt a armoured landrover would pull me over either. Plus no police walk the streets.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How does your helmet keep the wind from your ears? :S I've never seen many that covers your ears unless we are talking about downhill MTB style things that are akin to motorcross helmets.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm so sick of this.

1. There is no clear evidence either way that helmets are particularly effective at reducing head injuries.
  2. Compulsion would be a disaster.
  3. We should trust people enough to let them decide whether to wear a helmet or not based on their personal preference.
  4. If you wear a helmet, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine too.

Can we stop it now?

I wear a helmet, but mainly so I have somewhere to mount my camera.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm so sick of this.

1. There is no clear evidence either way that helmets are particularly effective at reducing head injuries.
  2. Compulsion would be a disaster.
  3. We should trust people enough to let them decide whether to wear a helmet or not based on their personal preference.
  4. If you wear a helmet, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine too.

Can we stop it now?

I wear a helmet, but mainly so I have somewhere to mount my camera.

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

yello

Others may take a different view.

If you'd have searched the forum, you would have found out.

Seriously, it's not like you're THAT new to the forum. You MUST have seen the subject debated on other threads. Was there a need to start another? Or was that your intention?

Like benb, I'm pretty hacked off with the subject now.

Perhaps any post with the word 'helmet' in the title can trigger a 'please search for opinions on this topic before posting' kind of response! :biggrin:

brokenbetty

Über Member
There are only a few answers.

1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - Sometimes
4 - Used to but not now
5 - Didn't used to but do now
6 - Saved my (mate/missus/kid/some bloke down the pub) life - insert emotive evidence and/or statistics to suit
7 - Caused an injury - insert emotive evidence and/or statistics to suit
8 - I hate cyclists and I hope you all die you badly dressed gits

If we had a definitive list of answers you could just put your number in and we could get the whole thing over with a lot quicker and easier.

Don't forget

9 - [everyday activity x] causes more head injuries than cycling. Why wear a helmet on a bike but not when you [x]?

corshamjim

I for one will continue to enjoy discussing helmets as and whenever the subject crops up. So there! :tongue:

(if you can't beat 'em, join 'em)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I for one will continue to enjoy discussing helmets as and whenever the subject crops up. So there! :tongue:

(if you can't beat 'em, join 'em)

But there's no clear evidence that having helmet discussions is useful or effective. Why should we be compelled to discuss it? It should be left up to personal choice whether to discuss the issue or not. No-one is considering making pedestrians discuss helmets, so why should cyclists be singled out? What are you, some kind of helmet discussion Nazi?

Midnight

Why should we be compelled to discuss it? It should be left up to personal choice whether to discuss the issue or not... ?

Although I sympathise with your sentiment in post #19 benb, with all due respect, is anybody is actually forcing you to reply to this thread? There was a big clue to the subject matter in the thread title - Why wear a HELMET? and if you hate these threads then just ignore them. We are bound to get this subject cropping up from time to time, as do other subjects.

It would be nice if we could have a sensible thread where we can discuss all the pro's and con's in a calm, mature manner. But there's always someone who wants to wade in with emotional or badly thought-out comments, trolling, or whatever... So until we can, it's probably best to just avoid 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom