Why won't my tyres seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Err dont understand this, a pump or air tank does not grip on the valve core but on the valve stem itself . My tank which is a air shot

https://www.merlincycles.com/airsho...ng&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=145269&source=PHG

Screws onto the valve stem for a really proper fit. I think you really need to take the valve core out and determine why your tank isnt locking onto the valve stem. Is it missing something?

My tank, the beto tubeless air tank, doesn't screw onto anything. When you clip it to the valve core, it stays put. You CANNOT clip it to the valve core.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Looking at that photo of your valve, it does indeed look wrong. The shape of the rim is not allowing the knurled collar to screw down and as such the o-ring under the collar is not completely sealing the gap. There's no way the tape underneath will be able to seal that gap, you need the o-ring to do that (in conjunction with the rubber block thingy on the bottom of the valve stem) and the shape of the rim is preventing that.

Sounds odd that the tank doesn't screw on, my Schwalbe tank screws onto the outer collar of the valve so that the valve core can be removed.

Here's a slightly fuzzy crop of my tank screwed to my valve and showing the knurled collar sitting pretty flush to the rim.

Last edited:
Sounds odd that the tank doesn't screw on, my Schwalbe tank screws onto the outer collar of the valve so that the valve core can be removed.

Here's a slightly fuzzy crop of my tank screwed to my valve and showing the knurled collar sitting pretty flush to the rim.

Don't know what to tell you. The beto tubeless air tank doesn't have a screw on mechanism, it's a clip on. And it doesn't clip on the valve stem but it does clip on the valve core. Just like my track pump does.

And my rims are asymmetrical.

So the photo of your screw on tank on your symmetrical rim doesn't really help in my situation, does it? ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My tank, the beto tubeless air tank, doesn't screw onto anything. When you clip it to the valve core, it stays put. You CANNOT clip it to the valve core.
I'm still not understanding this.

I don't actually know what kind of valve you have, schrader or presta, but in either case a pump that clips on will clip on to the outside threaded bit (the thread that takes the lock ring and the valve cap). In neither case will it care whether there's a valve core inside.

Or have I just got my wires crossed. Probably :wacko:

As already mentioned, you need the core/valve whatever you want to call it removed before you try and seat the tyres in order to allow a bigger 'rush' of air into the tyre.

I've got the blue airshot one and have yet to find a tyre I can't seat with no more than Two 'blasts' so to speak.

I pump mine up to 120psi.

Alex321

Veteran
Err dont understand this, a pump or air tank does not grip on the valve core but on the valve stem itself . My tank which is a air shot
I've actually had similar issues, even though I always thought it should work as you said.

Some pumps, with the muc-off valves just won't grip the valve stem with the core removed.

I think they normally must grip the part of the core that looks like valve stem. I think the removable core stems must be fractionally larger diameter than the fixed core stems.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Don't know what to tell you. The beto tubeless air tank doesn't have a screw on mechanism, it's a clip on. And it doesn't clip on the valve stem but it does clip on the valve core. Just like my track pump does.

And my rims are asymmetrical.

So the photo of your screw on tank on your symmetrical rim doesn't really help in my situation, does it? ^_^
All I was trying to do was point out to you that I agree with you that your valve stem is not seating properly on the rim. I apologise for trying to be helpful, I won't do it again.

I'm still not understanding this.

I don't actually know what kind of valve you have, schrader or presta, but in either case a pump that clips on will clip on to the outside threaded bit (the thread that takes the lock ring and the valve cap). In neither case will it care whether there's a valve core inside.

OK, it does NOT clip to the outside threaded bit.

Unless to clip it I need to use an unreasonable amount of force.

It DOES clip with no issues to the threaded bit of the valve core.

Could be that the tank does not clip on this specific valve (muc-off). I'll try to see if it does clip on the valve stem of my giant tubeless valve

Top Bottom