Whyte Cambridge vs Stirling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lowoctane

Hi there!

I've been in love with everyday commuter-type cycling on my Whyte Whitechapel for about 6 years now, and/but I'm thinking it might be nice to upgrade to something a little higher spec that I can hopefully be loving even more for the next ~10 years. The Whitechapel's general deal seems to be ideal for my use-cases, so I'm looking at the higher end models in their R7 range - specifically the Stirling or the (now discontinued - but I'm looking second-hand) Cambridge. In both cases the carbon fork is a major appeal, mostly for road-buzz reduction but also for weight.

I'm struggling to choose between them though. My understanding here goes to the depth that the Stirling has always been slightly more expensive, and so its componentry is, uh, better? As in, better braking power and slicker gear changes? And that it maybe has slightly thicker tyres, but that this isn't necessarily better (I'm not planning any off-road antics, so maybe the more nimble Cambridge tyres are better?).

I also understand that Stirlings had a 10x2 speed setup until about 2019. I've got a definite preference for single ring though, so would only be looking at post-2019 models, or just the Cambridge.

There don't seem to be any bike shops near me stocking either, so I can't get information that way.

Would anyone be able to help me understand the distinctions bit better?

Any input very much appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have links to the specs bikes you are looking at? What model year?
The Stirling was previously about a kg lighter than the Cambridge, used a higher groupset so lighter. Possibly slicker. 11 speed rather than 10 which might have more bearing if looking at 1x rather than a double.
Doubt there is much difference in the brakes, any well maintained hydraulics from Shimano or Sram should stop the bike.

Tyres wise, easy enough to change. Whyte used to use Maxxis which aren’t great for puncture resistance, again you’d need to check (on a used bike they may well have been changed anyhow).

If discontinued, you won’t find new stock. Older model Bikes all sold out pretty much in 2020 lockdown!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have a Cambridge (double ring), my wife has a Carnaby (aka Whitechapel). I don't think mine is a great 'upgrade' tbh.

I'd perhaps look at the drivetrain on yours if you want an upgrade, but as I say, I suspect it'd be modest for the spend as the Whitechapel's a lovely little bike - and to my hands at least, I don't think the fork material makes any difference to the ride.

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Do you have links to the specs bikes you are looking at? What model year?
The Stirling was previously about a kg lighter than the Cambridge, used a higher groupset so lighter. Possibly slicker. 11 speed rather than 10 which might have more bearing if looking at 1x rather than a double.
Doubt there is much difference in the brakes, any well maintained hydraulics from Shimano or Sram should stop the bike.

Tyres wise, easy enough to change. Whyte used to use Maxxis which aren’t great for puncture resistance, again you’d need to check (on a used bike they may well have been changed anyhow).

If discontinued, you won’t find new stock. Older model Bikes all sold out pretty much in 2020 lockdown!
It's looking like my ideal option would be something like this, if only it was still in stock
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...tirling-hybrid-bike-2021-in-moss-green__12800

There's a Cambridge I'm looking at that seems to be the 2017 model, so these specs
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/105726/products/whyte-cambridge-hybrid-bike-2017-zincgreyblue.aspx
Which is a bit confusing, in that the only detail I can really understand is the weight - apparently 10kg on that 2017 Cambridge, exactly the same as the 2021 Stirling. But then, the 2018 Cambridge is suddenly 10.5kg here https://www.flatharrys.cc/2630/products/2018-whyte-cambridge-zinc.aspx
Is there anything obvious that might account for the newer model getting a little heavier? Could they have swapped in worse/better components or something?

And then also if the Cambridge 2017 is the same weight as the 2021 Stirling, and both seem to be 11-speed, then is there anything else that's going to set the two apart?

And just to further complicate things, the 2022 Stirling seems to be 10.8 kg here
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes...pMBK0tFBQkEFXuPo1-cucw0T1uVjH2rRoCxrQQAvD_BwE

Like I say, weight is about the only variable I know for sure I understand (and it's a pretty important one, given Bristol's mega hills) - so I'd be ridiculously grateful for a bit of decryption to let me know if I'm missing anything obvious!

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

I have a Cambridge (double ring), my wife has a Carnaby (aka Whitechapel). I don't think mine is a great 'upgrade' tbh.

I'd perhaps look at the drivetrain on yours if you want an upgrade, but as I say, I suspect it'd be modest for the spend as the Whitechapel's a lovely little bike - and to my hands at least, I don't think the fork material makes any difference to the ride.
Hah yeah it's possible I'm chasing what will turn out to be very marginal improvements on the perfection I happily stumbled onto with the Whitechapel! Though honestly even if it's just a question of losing a kilo, I think I'd appreciate it a lot over the long time I intend to ride it.

Just to check - would you say they're more or less equal, or does the Carnaby/Whitechapel in fact have a kind of underdog edge over the Cambridge for you?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's odd, but it's just a 'sweeter' ride, for reasons I can't put my finger on, notwithstanding my bike's better spec. My wife loves her bike, with good reason, I think. I certainly wouldn't spend the extra if I was buying again.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's looking like my ideal option would be something like this, if only it was still in stock
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...tirling-hybrid-bike-2021-in-moss-green__12800

There's a Cambridge I'm looking at that seems to be the 2017 model, so these specs
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/105726/products/whyte-cambridge-hybrid-bike-2017-zincgreyblue.aspx
Which is a bit confusing, in that the only detail I can really understand is the weight - apparently 10kg on that 2017 Cambridge, exactly the same as the 2021 Stirling. But then, the 2018 Cambridge is suddenly 10.5kg here https://www.flatharrys.cc/2630/products/2018-whyte-cambridge-zinc.aspx
Is there anything obvious that might account for the newer model getting a little heavier? Could they have swapped in worse/better components or something?

And then also if the Cambridge 2017 is the same weight as the 2021 Stirling, and both seem to be 11-speed, then is there anything else that's going to set the two apart?

And just to further complicate things, the 2022 Stirling seems to be 10.8 kg here
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes...pMBK0tFBQkEFXuPo1-cucw0T1uVjH2rRoCxrQQAvD_BwE

Like I say, weight is about the only variable I know for sure I understand (and it's a pretty important one, given Bristol's mega hills) - so I'd be ridiculously grateful for a bit of decryption to let me know if I'm missing anything obvious!
Balfes have the 2022 Stirling in stock in some sizes :okay:

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

It's odd, but it's just a 'sweeter' ride, for reasons I can't put my finger on, notwithstanding my bike's better spec. My wife loves her bike, with good reason, I think. I certainly wouldn't spend the extra if I was buying again.
Interesting! I should be testing out the 2017 Cambridge on Friday, so will try and bring all of my scrutiny

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Interesting! I should be testing out the 2017 Cambridge on Friday, so will try and bring all of my scrutiny
Check clearances for wider tyres & guards, if you need them - IIRC that's the earlier-gen frame with tighter clearances.

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Balfes have the 2022 Stirling in stock in some sizes :okay:
Ah thanks but should have specified - the 2021 one would be my ideal partly because it must have been discounted for that brief and hallowed moment. I've thought about buying straight new, but the main issue would be that much less comfort in leaving it locked on whatever Bristol street - so I'm really hoping to get a decent second hand option

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt you'll find much discounted old stock as demand for bikes was still high last year and supply poor

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

I doubt you'll find much discounted old stock as demand for bikes was still high last year and supply poor

Yeah that sounds right! Second hand seems to be okay though - there was actually someone selling a Stirling (not my size) about a week ago identifying themselves as part of the Covid-buying wave, and saying that now working from home means they don't actually need a bike anyway. So hopefully there's lots of that kind of supply!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah that sounds right! Second hand seems to be okay though - there was actually someone selling a Stirling (not my size) about a week ago identifying themselves as part of the Covid-buying wave, and saying that now working from home means they don't actually need a bike anyway. So hopefully there's lots of that kind of supply!
Doesn't appear to be yet, maybe in the autumn when the bikes have sat in a shed all summer. You're also looking for a pretty obscure model, Whyte R7s don't come up that often on eBay for example but you may get lucky

Top Bottom