Whyte Cambridge vs Stirling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Tips much appreciated - I'll let you know how it turns out!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm of the opinion that the best value upgrade for most bikes is better tyres and ideal pressures. That will give you a bigger improvement in comfort than a carbon fork.

Next best is getting ideal gear ratios for your use. I cycled through Bristol this week and was glad of my low bottom gear.

If your existing set up fits you well that's a huge plus.

Not everyone will agree but 0.5kg is not a huge difference in the total weight of bike plus rider. I wouldn't worry about it unless trying to win a race.

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

As per promise to come back - I did track down a Whyte Cambridge, and it's a total dream. The weight difference is modest but still feels really significant - I'm very much aware of it when slogging up hills, or when picking it up to store it on the wall or for train journeys etc. Maybe the bigger factor is the carbon fork though - unless I'm just deluding myself, it's a massive difference from the Whitechapel: a couple of weeks since I got it, I'm still actively relishing the comparatively muted, gentle feel when rolling over rough surfaces. Not to get all grandiose, but it feels like the difference between liking and loving being on a bike.

The gearset is also a major plus: the gears both go lower (which I didn't realise I needed, but sort of did) and more smoothly. This does seem to come with more of a 'chainsaw' noise when freewheeling, but it's not crazy loud and I've grown to like this as a kind of less obnoxious bell.

All of which now also means I can start cherishing it for the long-term: I've got a dynamo hub/lights in the pipeline, which feels a bit like getting married.

Also, massive thankyou @vickster for the Fb marketplace tip: I'd been scouring Ebay/Gumtree, but pretty much as soon as Iooked on there I found a Cambridge going for a comparative song.

I only wish that everyone could hear the good word of this kind of bike!

vickster

Legendary Member
As per promise to come back - I did track down a Whyte Cambridge, and it's a total dream. The weight difference is modest but still feels really significant - I'm very much aware of it when slogging up hills, or when picking it up to store it on the wall or for train journeys etc. Maybe the bigger factor is the carbon fork though - unless I'm just deluding myself, it's a massive difference from the Whitechapel: a couple of weeks since I got it, I'm still actively relishing the comparatively muted, gentle feel when rolling over rough surfaces. Not to get all grandiose, but it feels like the difference between liking and loving being on a bike.

The gearset is also a major plus: the gears both go lower (which I didn't realise I needed, but sort of did) and more smoothly. This does seem to come with more of a 'chainsaw' noise when freewheeling, but it's not crazy loud and I've grown to like this as a kind of less obnoxious bell.

All of which now also means I can start cherishing it for the long-term: I've got a dynamo hub/lights in the pipeline, which feels a bit like getting married.

Also, massive thankyou @vickster for the Fb marketplace tip: I'd been scouring Ebay/Gumtree, but pretty much as soon as Iooked on there I found a Cambridge going for a comparative song.

I only wish that everyone could hear the good word of this kind of bike!

Enjoy.
Be careful not to cross chain tho if that’s what’s causing the noise (and not just a different/worn out noisier hub!)
Are the tyres the same width/model…if not that could also explain the ride difference (not to diss a carbon fork though, I wouldn’t have anything else!)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Enjoy.
Be careful not to cross chain tho if that’s what’s causing the noise (and not just a different/worn out noisier hub!)
Are the tyres the same width/model…if not that could also explain the ride difference (not to diss a carbon fork though, I wouldn’t have anything else!)

Another sceptic (me) pointing at the tyres maybe being the point of difference :cheers:

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Hah well I guess I'm happy with either explanation! I'm pretty sure they're the same width, but it's true they are different makes. Then again I had Schwalbe Marathons on the Whitechapel, which I thought were right up there, whereas these ones seem more standard... could it perhaps be possible that if/when I stick Marathons on the Cambridge, it'll be even better and feel like one of those bikes from Tron?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Marathons are decent but relatively unyielding 67tpi tyres, designed for touring & commuting where reliability is key, and with a 3mm puncture resistant layer. Heavy too. What's on the Cambridge?

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Interesting!

"Fincci green shield 3mm" - says on the side they're 27 tpi. Which, from a bit of googling, does actually seem to be a step away from ride smoothness? All hail the carbon fork?

OP
OP
Lowoctane

Lowoctane

Hmm, that's kind of nice to hear - I'll look forward to whenever they wear out! Yeah same as before, about 80 PSI

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
When they do wear out (or before, if you're going to ride in Winter & use these as a winter tyre) then see if you can get a 35 section under the forks/between the stays and butya really good, compliant pair (like Voyager Hypers, if you could find a pair - I just sold mine, or I'd offer them up) and it'll feel even better!

Top Bottom