Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I understand that the Whyte Stirling v3 and the Pimlico v3 are essentially the same bike, with the only doifference beinbg the whhelbase is more 'compact' on the Pimlico?
Anyway, that being the case, I see the Pimlico often referred to as a woman's bike more than a unisex, what is your understanding?

They do seem to be a nice bike, Shimano Deore 1x11 speed, Shimano MT401 hydraulic brakes, carbon fork etc....
A little heavier than the other bikes in this bracket (10.8kg) but still fairly light.

How would you guys rate this compared to the Giant Fastroad SL1 or the Merida Speeder 400, or perhaps the Specialized Sirrus 4 or X4?

The RRP is around £1,100 give or take.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
As ever, can you ride both, see which suits?

I‘d have a Whyte over the other brands, but I said that weeks ago on your other thread (and you dismissed as ‘only’ 1x11 speed :laugh:)

The Pimlico is sold out in all sizes on the Whyte site, so have you confirmed availability?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

As ever, can you ride both, see which suits?

I‘d have a Whyte over the other brands, but I said that weeks ago on your other thread (and you dismissed as ‘only’ 1x11 speed :laugh:)

The Pimlico is sold out in all sizes on the Whyte site, so have you confirmed availability?
Yeah I know, but it's a journey isn't it.
Some 11 speed don't have a low enough low gear, but these have a 42 front and 11/51 rear so plenty of gears to get me up hills.
Can't find one to sit on yet but there are some available online.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The only downside I can see is that when you tell your cycling mates you’ve bought a Whyte you may be met with a blank stare rather than a Giant or Specialized. If you don’t mind that buy the one with the nicest colour scheme :smile:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The only downside I can see is that when you tell your cycling mates you’ve bought a Whyte you may be met with a blank stare rather than a Giant or Specialized. If you don’t mind that buy the one with the nicest colour scheme :smile:

I don’t have any cycling mates!
None that are ‘serious’ cyclists with brand awareness anyway.
I tend to ride alone.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Would a 10.9kg bike be notably heavier feeling to ride (and get up hills) than say a 10kg bike?
I know it is heavier, but would it really be a noticeable handicap?

vickster

Legendary Member
Would a 10.9kg bike be notably heavier feeling to ride (and get up hills) than say a 10kg bike?

No, and you can always reduce the weight and improve the rolling resistance a bit with better lighter tyres

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, and possibly by ‘carbonizing’ some bits, like seat post or even handle bars?
Also, would the 1x11 Deore 5100 feel clunky and ‘agricultural’ compared to say, the 2x11 105 set up?

All uphill

Still rolling along

It would be like forgetting your fullish 1 litre waterbottle. That weighs 1kg.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks, and possibly by ‘carbonizing’ some bits, like seat post or even handle bars?
Also, would the 1x11 Deore 5100 feel clunky and ‘agricultural’ compared to say, the 2x11 105 set up?

If you are the sort of person who is more interested in the machine than the ride, then maybe.

The trees, clouds, towns and hills will all look just the same.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member

I wouldn’t, those bits can break!

Go try them both and see. But frankly as a newbie, once you’re having fun riding, you won’t notice.
There’s more opportunity for clunky changes with 2 chainrings ;)

Top Bottom