Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

:ohmy:

1660318749746.png

Last few bikes I haven't ridden before I tried. It's not always practical.

I use the geometry charts and go to a bike fitter post purchase.

I'm not sure what a 15 minute test ride tells you that much anyway.

You've also tried some which have proved a tad too large so have that knowledge & geometry to work from.

Whilst I'm sure everyone is well intentioned - "dont do this - you must do that " - trust your own judgement.

I understand what you're saying chaps, and trust me, I'd much rather be getting on with it and enjoying riding a new bike.
The trouble is guys, there's no bloody stock, anywhere of anything I shortlist, in the size I want.
Therefore sitting on or trying a bike (historically and understandably, a vitial part of the decision making process) is virtually impossible, that's why I'm dithering, cus it's all 'on paper' rather than based on trying or even just seeing various bikes in the metal.
I can only get so far in deciding to spend over £1,000+ without actually seeing what I may be buying.
I wouldn't buy a £50 pair of shoes without trying them on, let alone a £1,000 bike.
I think my hesitancy is not unreasonable given the current circumstances.

But lots of people do.

Whatever you from now on - at some point there will a leap of faith to be taken.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Of course and I will take it.
First though, I’d like to at least check if I’m better off with the Stirling or the Pimlico. Based on geometry, the Pimlico is more in line with other (compact frame?) bikes such as the Giant Fastroad and the Merida Speeder.
Yet again however, no one has one to sit on :sad:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course and I will take it.
First though, I’d like to at least check if I’m better off with the Stirling or the Pimlico. Based on geometry, the Pimlico is more in line with other (compact frame?) bikes such as the Giant Fastroad and the Merida Speeder.
Yet again however, no one has one to sit on :sad:

Your no one isn’t quite correct as Balfes have the medium Pimlico in several branches (obviously call to check and reserve before travelling)
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...ico-v3-womens-hybrid-bike-2022-in-blue__29051

Indeed they also have the large…
Plus the medium Stirling in some branches :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks Vickster, I'll speak to them.

I have posted this elsewhere but on reflection it was not my thread to hi-jack so here it is again on my own thread...

The more I look at the Whyte's, particuarly the Stirling and the Pimlico models, the more attractive they look.
I love the Matt Midnight Grey/Magenta colour of the Pimlico, more than the Matt Moss Rose/Olive of the Stirling, although that is also quiet nice.
The Whyte's are around 0.5kg heavier than the Giant Fastroad and 1kg heavier than the Speeder but as per your previous response, I doubt I'd notice and it will still be far lighter and more sprightly than the 14-15kg I am used to!

It looks like the Pimlico is still larger (see below taken from 99 Spokes) in some ways than the Giant Fastroad and so I should not be concerned about it being too cramped

For example:
Stack
  • Pimlico (M) 575
  • Pimlico (L) 593
  • Stirling (M) 579
  • Fastroad (M) 563
  • Speeder (S/M) 585
  • Speeder (S) 573
Reach
  • Pimlico (M) 404
  • Pimlico (L) 420
  • Stirling (M) 424
  • Fastroad (M) 388
  • Speeder (S/M) 398
  • Speeder (S) 392
Stack:Reach Ratio
  • Pimlico (M) 1.42
  • Pimlico (L) 1.41
  • Stirling (M) 1.37
  • Fastroad (M) 1.45
  • Speeder (S/M) 1.47
  • Speeder (S) 1.46
Wheelbase
  • Pimlico (M) 1067.4
  • Pimlico (L) 1078.4
  • Stirling (M) 1078.4
  • Fastroad (M) 1020
  • Speeder (S/M) 1057
  • Speeder (S) 1053
Standover Height
  • Pimlico (M) 735.5
  • Pimlico (L) 767.5
  • Stirling (M) 750
  • Fastroad (M) 719
  • Speeder (S/M) 787
  • Speeder (S) 769

So at 5'8" and with an approximate standover height (based on ramming a hardback book into my crotch) of 780mm, average arms and legs, a desire for a morerelaxed posture rather than an aggressive one, and fitness and country lanesrather than fast road riding, do any of the above stand out more than the others as a potential 'good fit' and specifically, will the Pimlico be too compact and cramped or the Stirling a little too long on reach and wheelbase?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Only you can tell if the a bike is the right size for you as we’re all different and prefer a different position on a bike.
There are 3 sizes of Pimlico, one will be right (even if you need a stem tweak for example)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, yeah I appreciate that but I suppose I'm trying to see if there is anything to push me towards either the Stirling or Pimlico, based on my stats and the individual bike geometries.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, yeah I appreciate that but I suppose I'm trying to see if there is anything to push me towards either the Stirling or Pimlico, based on my stats and the individual bike geometries.

Nope, just try them both.
I’ve tried the women’s Whytes in the past and they just feel too cramped. You may need the large in a Pimlico, at 5’8 you are on the cusp between sizes according to Whyte.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You're right, I hate it when it shows on the cusp!
I have added the Pimlico (L) to the lists above, the standover is creeping up to a little higher than I'd like in clearence but otherwise it looks very similar (but not the same) as the Stirling (M).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes the large ‘ladies’ geo has always been closer to men’s medium (pretty much for all brands/bikes when I’ve looked)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

so....if the large Pimlico was pretty much the same geo as the medium Stirling, I may as well go with the colour I prefer?^_^ or am i missing something?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Although the standover is lower (more clearence) on the M Stirling than on the L Pimlico.

vickster

Legendary Member
so....if the large Pimlico was pretty much the same geo as the medium Stirling, I may as well go with the colour I prefer?^_^ or am i missing something?

Yep colour is ultimately by far the most important criteria to choose... :unsure:

Why are you so obsessed by standover...everyone has said it's very low in importance when choosing a bike compared to comfort and fit while actually moving!

Top Bottom