Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yep colour is ultimately by far the most important criteria to choose... :unsure:
I was joking of course!

Why are you so obsessed by standover...everyone has said it's very low in importance when choosing a bike compared to comfort and fit while actually moving!

I'm not obsessed, but it is important to me, to have a reasonable, and at least some clearence between my wedding tackle and genital armageddon :wacko:
To have none is, IMO a silly and uneccessary compromise, that could end badly.
I have had more comments (overall) that I should have some clearence, than comments to the contrary.

Other than having no standover clearence, the Merida Speeder 400 (S/M) felt very good geometrically, so perhaps I need to look for a bike that is close to that but with a better standover height.
The Pimlico (M) seems to be very close, often sitting in the middle of the Merida Speeder (S/M) and the Stirling (M).

There seems nothing in the geo of the (M) Pimlico to suggest that if the (S/M) Merida felt good and not cramped, that I wouldn't feel at least if not more comfortable and less cramped on it?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I was joking of course!

I wasn’t ;)
Some clearance yes, or at least things not being squashed uncomfortably but you were comparing more clearance to a little less, not to none at all I think. The Whytes don’t have a straight horizontal TT like an old school roadbike so you can position where it slopes if really required (have you suffered an injury to your genitals on a bike top tube in the past hence your concern? :blush:)
If you’re wearing padded shorts there’ll be cushioning anyhow.

Having a bike that can be fitted correctly so it’s comfortable to ride and the right saddle is far more important for undercarriage than stand over

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I wasn’t ;)
Some clearance yes, or at least things not being squashed uncomfortably but you were comparing more clearance to a little less, not to none at all I think. The Whytes don’t have a straight horizontal TT like an old school roadbike so you can position where it slopes if really required (have you suffered an injury to your genitals on a bike top tube in the past hence your concern? :blush:)
If you’re wearing padded shorts there’ll be cushioning anyhow.

Having a bike that can be fitted correctly so it’s comfortable to ride and the right saddle is far more important for undercarriage than stand over
Na, no past plum trauma, just want to keep it that way.
I suppose that I am basing my requirements on a total measured inner leg of around 780mm, and that 750mm or less will give me 30mm or just over an inch of clearance, which is usually what is recommended.
Padded shorts won't stop the family jewels being squashed though, although they may contain the bleeding should the old sloth sack burst open from the impact!
I agree about having a bike geo that can be tweaked to suit though, and hopefully that part will be fine. Just want to consider that should I have to (for any reason) slide forward off the saddle and straddle the TT, that I can do so without making my wife's Mr, a Mrs!

vickster

Legendary Member
Na, no past plum trauma, just want to keep it that way.
I suppose that I am basing my requirements on a total measured inner leg of around 780mm, and that 750mm or less will give me 30mm or just over an inch of clearance, which is usually what is recommended.
Padded shorts won't stop the family jewels being squashed though, although they may contain the bleeding should the old sloth sack burst open from the impact!
I agree about having a bike geo that can be tweaked to suit though, and hopefully that part will be fine. Just want to consider that should I have to (for any reason) slide forward off the saddle and straddle the TT, that I can do so without making my wife's Mr, a Mrs!

:wacko: For a married man, you have a very basic knowledge of the anatomical differences between the male and female genitalia :laugh:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

:wacko: For a married man, you have a very basic knowledge of the anatomical differences between the male and female genitalia :laugh:
How do you work that one out? :blink:
Between us both, who do you think has the highest number of testicles?:whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you work that one out? :blink:

You seemed to imply that squishing your testicles (and penis?) would make you into a woman (in your words 'making my wife's Mr, a Mrs!') :wacko:
I'm guessing it was an attempt at a joke :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You seemed to imply that squishing your testicles (and penis?) would make you into a woman (in your words 'making my wife's Mr, a Mrs!') :wacko:
I'm guessing it was an attempt at a joke :rolleyes:
errr...well yes of course it was a joke :rolleyes:.....everyone knows that it would only make me non-binary ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Given Vicky's ferocity in this thread I'd say that's not a cut-and-dried assumption :tongue:

To further fuel the fire both "medium" bikes seem to have a fair amount of reach for that stated size - my M Croix de Fer has (burnt into my consciousness after a similarly OCD-led escapade to yourself some years ago) 386mm reach, and at 5' 9.5" I've still had to shorten the stem to make myself comfortable.. although I have fairly long legs / short torso.

Of course the frame reach / stack values don't tell the whole story thanks to the influence of stem and bars. Do you have an existing bike you find comfortable that you can pull reach and stack values from as a reference?

You sound like a man who'd appreciate a good spreadsheet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Given Vicky's ferocity in this thread I'd say that's not a cut-and-dried assumption :tongue: To further fuel the fire both "medium" bikes seem to have a fair amount of reach for that stated size - my M Croix de Fer has (burnt into my consciousness after a similarly OCD-led escapade to yourself some years ago) 386mm reach, and at 5' 9.5" I've still had to shorten the stem to make myself comfortable.. although I have fairly long legs / short torso. Of course the frame reach / stack values don't tell the whole story thanks to the influence of stem and bars. Do you have an existing bike you find comfortable that you can pull reach and stack values from as a reference? You sound like a man who'd appreciate a good spreadsheet!

Top Bottom