Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Huh? He was going to finally try some out!

Betcha OP's back with more questions and quandaries shortly 😊

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

FWIT I now know the Pimlico M is too small and a little cramped, and the L too large
Surprisingly though, the Stirling M was a decent fit. There’s just something about the way the bike looks though. It’s not an ugly bike but it’s just not wowing me with its sexyness or aesthetics, when compared to Trek or Giant or Specialized etc.
The back end looks weird and the colours a little drab.
Sorry if that disappoints but at least you’ll have something to mock me for for a while longer eh? :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I may still buy it though, it’s a good bike with decent spec and it fits well.
Not sure about the 37c tyres though, they look a little chunky, I’d likely put some 32’s on.

vickster

Legendary Member
FWIT I now know the Pimlico M is too small and a little cramped, and the L too large
Surprisingly though, the Stirling M was a decent fit. There’s just something about the way the bike looks though. It’s not an ugly bike but it’s just not wowing me with its sexyness or aesthetics, when compared to Trek or Giant or Specialized etc.
Sorry if that disappoints but at least you’ll have something to mock me for for a while longer eh? :okay:

Ahh well hopefully, you can find one of those instead :okay:

@Sloth when he gets his new bike !
Screenshot_20220820-131310.png

Just keeping up with history to cover the decision gap.

Berlin Wall was built in 1961 and came down after 28 years, in 1989. West and East Germany reunites the following year. Merkel becomes Germany first female leader in Nov 2005 having being raised in East Germany. She served for 16 years and considered EU's de facto leader.

She was known for her decisiveness and steely resolve. Not an easy task looking after the needs of 84 million people in Germany and 447 million people in EU in her de facto role. The only leader that made a fool of a US President on a few occasions.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

I'm looking forward to the sizing fun if you start looking at a Giant flatbars. The chart below (from the Giant Fastroad SL at random) shows the recommended sizing, but in my experience it should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Before purchasing my Giant Rapid I tried a M/L for size (at 5'11") and the thing was tiny with the L being spot on.
1661026342475.png

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I'm looking forward to the sizing fun if you start looking at a Giant flatbars. The chart below (from the Giant Fastroad SL at random) shows the recommended sizing, but in my experience it should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Before purchasing my Giant Rapid I tried a M/L for size (at 5'11") and the thing was tiny with the L being spot on.
View attachment 658148
Hi, yes I know that many charts are an indication only and should not be taken as definitive.
I have sat on a Fastroad SL1 in medium, a while back and at the time was concerned that there was too much pressure on my hands from leaning too much. However it was only very hurriedly adjusted for me so far from a bike set up. I later tried the same bike in medium/large, it felt too big but again not really set up for me to be sure. A LBS has it in both medium and medium large so I will call in and check them again soon.
I’m still toying with blowing the budget on a Trek FX 4 Sport but need too both see and sit on one, and LOVE IT, before spending that kind is cash.
I’ve resigned myself to not riding this summer, due to the (increasingly) irritating bike availability situation, so if I do it’s a bonus.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Trek? Giant?

This one could run and run - possibly making some of Accy's threads looking like a benchmark in brevity. 😂

For the second time: marginal fit issues can often be sorted with different stem/seat post options.

Top Bottom