Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Surely a small WSD model (ie the Victoria) would be too small if you’re 5’8

If 5-8, then OP you needn't look at L. M it is.

I have an M in Cambridge flavour and Mrs BFB has a Carnaby in S flavour. I'm 5-10 but shortish in the leg and an L was just too tight for me.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

If 5-8, then OP you needn't look at L. M it is.

I have an M in Cambridge flavour and Mrs BFB has a Carnaby in S flavour. I'm 5-10 but shortish in the leg and an L was just too tight for me.
You're probably right. I'll find out on Friday.
Hopefully I'll also like the look and feel of the bike/build quality etc.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So, having sorted out the correct size for the two different geometries, it will just be down to deciding which has the best components and is the right colour.

Should only take a couple of months :laugh:

Don't 2023 bikes start coming through shortly...

clukem

Regular
I bought a Whyte Pimlico just over a month ago. I initially came on this forum asking about a Boardman 8.8 MTX https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/boardman-mtx-8-8.285959. I spent ages dithering over which one to go for, which sounds like the position you're in. Eventually decided enough. Decided to up my budget as the Whyte had all the requirements I wanted and in particular a good gear ratio as I really struggled to get up hills (Usually having to get off and walk). Also a 1 x drive train as didn't want to be pfaffing around with a front derailleur.

Put at the time, that I was happy with it and still just as happy today. With the gear ratio it is so easy to get up hills. Not found any I can't cope with yet. Quite often ride with a back pack, which must weigh 5-6kg with all the stuff I put in it and still no problems getting up hills.

I'm 5'9 and bought the Medium and this is absolutely fine. I find it gives me a much more upright seating position, which I prefer as I can see better where I'm going and don't have to stretch as much.

Attachments

• Whyte_Bike.JPG
    Whyte_Bike.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I bought a Whyte Pimlico just over a month ago. I initially came on this forum asking about a Boardman 8.8 MTX https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/boardman-mtx-8-8.285959. I spent ages dithering over which one to go for, which sounds like the position you're in. Eventually decided enough. Decided to up my budget as the Whyte had all the requirements I wanted and in particular a good gear ratio as I really struggled to get up hills (Usually having to get off and walk). Also a 1 x drive train as didn't want to be pfaffing around with a front derailleur.

Put at the time, that I was happy with it and still just as happy today. With the gear ratio it is so easy to get up hills. Not found any I can't cope with yet. Quite often ride with a back pack, which must weigh 5-6kg with all the stuff I put in it and still no problems getting up hills.

I'm 5'9 and bought the Medium and this is absolutely fine. I find it gives me a much more upright seating position, which I prefer as I can see better where I'm going and don't have to stretch as much.
Thanks for this, very reassuring 👍
Just the kind of thing I was hoping for.
I’m out trying a few today, including the Whyte Stirling (M) and the Whyte Carnaby (exact same frame and geometry as the Pimlico) which will tell (or confirm) that the M Pimlico is the right size.
It’ll also tell me if the Stirling is too stretched out by comparison, as I suspect it might.

Top Bottom