Whyte Suffolk 2016 105 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This ticks a lot of boxes to me. Ability to take chubby tyres (32mm & maybe more?), hydraulic brakes and a low 34x32 gear. Sensibly priced at £1299 as well.

I know I need to ride one but it is not currently in stock at the dealership. Although the very friendly owner at LBS has a 54cm on order.

Any ideas on sizing please? I am 5' 8.5" (used to be 5' 9" - shrunk in the wash I guess). The Whyte website says 54 for 5' 6" to 5' 9".

However, my current Giant TCX which feels spot on to me has a 53cm top tube and the Whyte a 55.5cm. which seems like a lot longer to me.

The Whyte 52cm has a 54cm top tube which, along with some other measurements, seems a lot closer to my current bike but the height guide is 5' 3" to 5' 6".

When I bought my Giant I was on the cusp of sizes being at the top end of the height range for the size I bought and at the lower end of the range for the next size up - which had a 54,5cm top tube.

Are Whytes 'big' for their sizing or is it just me with my 'could go either way' height?

Any other views on Whyte and the RD7 range in general appreciated.

http://whyte.bike/gb/suffolk-105-2/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@JoeyB may be able to help

vickster

Legendary Member
Someone advertised a whyte on here, look through the classifieds. Can't recall who it was

Whyte do have a pretty good size guide on their website

Cannondales come up on the large size, esp the CX ones, so not surprised you may go bigger for Whyte so the opposite to what you are saying

There's been quite a lot of discussion on various models if you pop Whyte in the search box

Don't make a decision until you've tried one

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@Jenkins

Thank you. How do you find the bike overall?

Surprisingly comfortable and fast - I purchased it with the Whyte mudguards fitted for use as a bad weather commuter and, once I'd had the (free upgrade TRP HY/RD) rear brake sorted, it's doing the job admirably. I've also used it for a couple of longer runs with no problems.

It's a small thing, but I find the handlebar to be one of the best I've used - flat tops, shallow drop and a long sweep back.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

My husband has a Whyte Suffolk. He is 5'8" and his is the 52. He tried the 54 and it felt too big.

@Julia9054

Thank you - that's what the sizing is saying to me tbh. I will find out when I try the 54.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'm 6ft on the nose and I have a 56cm Suffolk 2015. I had the bike shop fit a shorter stem for me when I bought it as its my preference not to be too stretched out.

Other than that, there sizing is in line with all the major brands I'd say. No different to my Scott 56cm or the Spesh 56cm's I had previously test rode.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Forgot to mention - I love mine! It's quite heavy but unnoticeable once you are up to speed. Gear change is silky smooth too.

I've bought a semi compact 105 crank to go on as it was bugging me to not have full 105!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I just had a read through that link and it seems to reference the 2014 frame. Would be worth checking with Whyte that the 2015 and 2016 versions were improved to prevent those cracks !

I did also read about the wheels being a weak point but I'm over 15stone and haven't broken them yet.

I'm kind of hoping the wheels do break as I need an excuse to buy some Hunt X Mason upgrades!

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

There was some bad press about frame failures. I have not got time to re-google it but this as a starter. http://road.cc/content/forum/133503-thoughts-whyte-suffolk

Enough to point me elsewhere and got a RIbble CR3 with 105 and hydros. Off in 10 mins for a spin but suffice to say it is excellent

@jay clock

Thank you. Not what I was expecting but always good to read real life reviews vs the often gushy prose of 'pro' reviews.

Looks like they have changed the cable outlet spacings on 2015 frames re the cracked DT. Can't say at this stage that it has filled me with confidence - I'll have a chat with the dealer.

Top Bottom