Wi-fi Range extenders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Google 'TP Link'.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
These look a great deal.

https://m.shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi---twin-pack-092099-D543.html?src=2

Still expensive at £100.

Anyone any better bang for buck solutions??

There are cheaper products, eg TP-Link as mentioned above. I have these, they work fine for me.

Another possibly "free" solution is, if you have a spare wifi router lying around, then by joining your existing router to the "spare" router with a Network Cable (Cat-5 is believe the technical term), it is possible to set up a Network with two routers, and by placing one router (say) downstairs and the other upstairs, extend the wifi (and cabled connection) possibilities.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use the power line network adapters to negate the need for running cables around the house. Upstairs I have a ... you guessed it ... tp-link wi-if router plugged into an adapter to extend the wifi range

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
These look a great deal.

https://m.shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi---twin-pack-092099-D543.html?src=2

Still expensive at £100.

Anyone any better bang for buck solutions??
My 'better bang for buck solution' was not to bother with one! :okay:

When I moved into my current home a couple of years ago I decided to use the large attic room as a spare bedroom/office/studio. I assumed that I would not get a decent wifi signal up there since the router is 2 floors down and as far away as it could be (without moving it down to the cellar) so I ran an ethernet cable up there for a wired Internet connection, without even thinking to test the wifi signal.

Some weeks later I was up in the attic room when I discovered that my phone was happily updating apps so I checked the wifi signal and it is actually fine. I was very surprised. My router is nothing special, just what PlusNet provided.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My 'better bang for buck solution' was not to bother with one! :okay:

When I moved into my current home a couple of years ago I decided to use the large attic room as a spare bedroom/office/studio. I assumed that I would not get a decent wifi signal up there since the router is 2 floors down and as far away as it could be (without moving it down to the cellar) so I ran an ethernet cable up there for a wired Internet connection, without even thinking to test the wifi signal.

Some weeks later I was up in the attic room when I discovered that my phone was happily updating apps so I checked the wifi signal and it is actually fine. I was very surprised. My router is nothing special, just what PlusNet provided.
I’m running iptv ok at the moment. I’ll see how things go. I just want to make sure there’s no buffering issues.

bruce1530

Guru
I decided to use the large attic room as a spare bedroom/office/studio. I assumed that I would not get a decent wifi signal up ....

Some weeks later I was up in the attic room when I discovered that my phone was happily updating apps so I checked the wifi signal and it is actually fine. I was very surprised.

All that’s between you in that situation would be a couple of wooden floors. Whereas, going “sideways” in the house (well, in my house anyway) there are brick walls...

I remember once installing wifi in the 2nd floor of a building (ex-warehouse conversion) that had thick sandstone internal walls, and wooden floors. Had reception problems on the other side of that floor, but got reasonable reception on the 8th floor

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All that’s between you in that situation would be a couple of wooden floors. Whereas, going “sideways” in the house (well, in my house anyway) there are brick walls...

I remember once installing wifi in the 2nd floor of a building (ex-warehouse conversion) that had thick sandstone internal walls, and wooden floors. Had reception problems on the other side of that floor, but got reasonable reception on the 8th floor
Good point!

Tim Hall

If it's not brick walls, it could well be plasterboard, with a lovely wifi killing foil backing.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
TP link here as well..
The only problem I had with it was when I has a Samsung phone. Every time it found a better signal from the router or TP, it dropped the WiFi and he’d to be manually connected.
All other mobiles and tablets work fine.

Top Bottom