Wibble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I do think that very long mudflaps at the front and rear do help to decrease the amount of mud getting between the tyre and mudguard.

Last edited:
I do think that very long mudflaps at the front and rear do help to decrease the amount of mud getting between the tyre and mudguard.
Flaps are great for stopping spray but not sure about decreasing mud. Surely the mud is already on the tyre ? Or does the flap scrape the tyre ?

When I was using my blue Ribble, the largest that took with mudguards was a '23'
Even then, they were close

Which was ironic, as they invariably marketed it as a 'Winter Bike'

One day, I was out, & fairly close to home, into a headwind
I was getting slower, & I just assumed wind & tiredness
Then the noise started!!

The rear guard had clogged, & was rubbing on the tyre, at the chainstay bridge!

I don't have such issues, with the CGR, as I run a '28' on there (was Durano, now Marathons)

This scraped, but was too soft to clog!

This wasn't taken the same day, but this is about my limit for the ride home, if I ride along the riverbank (Calder) & through NewLand Woods

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Nice
when you say "built-up" you mean you put the bits together yourself?
I had the idea that you got the lbs to do most things
am also intrigued, at the risk of getting too intimate, as to why I would be/was surprised at you riding such a beast.
Back to the bike - am impresesd by the daylight i can see under the guards - no coathangers in the seatpack for you.

>>You can probably see it's also set up for short tours.

Can't see a rack. Is the fork carbon? You plan to attach things to it?
Apologies Blue Hills, I meant to reply to this and then found myself very unwell and not up to doing anything much. All better now. It was a little joke really based on our previous chats when I think you've said you thought I was an out and out roadie meaning I might not want to be on a heavier perhaps more practical bike - especially as she's laden with mudguards, a rear pack, a front pack, lights etc!!!!!

The fork is carbon and no I don't plan to attach anything to it for no reason other than I'm unlikely to carry that much stuff. The fork does have three hex bolts so I imagine there is some type of luggage which could be safely attached? Perhaps you would think otherwise? There isn't a rack attached but I do have one which would fit and various bits of now rather scruffy luggage which would fit. I can nicely accommodate a Restrap Holster Saddlebag under the seat - I got the bag, holster etc for a bargain £60 at the summer factory sale.

Bit too much daylight at the top of the guards perhaps? Might need dropping down a bit.

There's the start of a plan to use this beauty on a ride to Cape Wrath next summer. Only chat at the moment but I'm hopeful.

She's a real favourite of mine, one of the best two bikes I've had the pleasure to own. When I talk of "built up" I mean after I identified the frame I wanted, that took six months, I sat down with my LBS discussed what I wanted to get from this bike and the LBS then made recommendations and we chose equipment and "built up" the bike this way. I guess the phrase really means someone did the work themselves - not so in my case!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well its that time of year again down in Somerset where the tractors haul loads of muck to spread, so we get clogged up frequently, Strange I never thought of the metal coat hanger solution. I can usually be seen grovelling around at the side of the road looking for bits of thin strong twigs to poke under the front brake where the mud seems to collect this is with 25mm tyres fitted. Though some people are still riding with no guards!:wacko:

fatjel

Veteran
I have a Spa Steel Audax with full mudguards
Only time I had trouble was when I tried 28s
I put the 25s back on
far be it from me to give advice but .....

I have a Spa Steel Audax with full mudguards
Only time I had trouble was when I tried 28s
I put the 25s back on
far be it from me to give advice but .....
my advice is to ride a bike which when you want it to will take tyres up to 28 or wider.
I do have a nice hybrid set up with narrow guards which will only take 28 because of that - but it could take up to 38 with ease with appropriate guards. Excellent bike - fine for Audaxes. It's also the favourite bike of @raleighnut I think.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
my advice is to ride a bike which when you want it to will take tyres up to 28 or or wider.
I do have a nice hybrid set up with narrow guards which will only take 28 because of that - but it could take up to 38 with ease with appropriate guards. Excellent bike - fine for Audaxes. It's also the favourite bike of @raleighnut I think.
Yep the Ridgeback, limiting factor with tyres are the Chainstays which are quite tight but I only run 28s on that bike, mudguards on it are clip on 'Flingers' not full guards but they keep the worst off.
The only bike with full SKS mudguards is the Raleigh 'Equipe' which has had several iterations but is now a light Tourer/Audax bike,

fatjel

Veteran
This wide tyres thing is just a marketing ploy to get you all to buy new bikes to fit the modern fat tyre theory
seems to be working :-)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This wide tyres thing is just a marketing ploy to get you all to buy new bikes to fit the modern fat tyre theory
seems to be working :-)
except you might not have to buy a new bike of course if you hadn't followed the earlier fad.

Couldn't agree more 27x 1 3/8th, pretty similar width to the 700 x 35mm on my modern gravel bike. The side pull caliper has a lot to answer for answer for.
Disc brakes aren't the only solution for getting fat tires on "road" bikes. Long live the centre pull caliper & the canti.
1635405261388.png

*small disclaimer I changed these tyres for some 27 1 1/8th (28.6mm in new money)

Couldn't agree more 27x 1 3/8th, pretty similar width to the 700 x 35mm on my modern gravel bike. The side pull caliper has a lot to answer for answer for.
Disc brakes aren't the only solution for getting fat tires on "road" bikes. Long live the centre pull caliper & the canti.
View attachment 615425
*small disclaimer I changed these tyres for some 27 1 1/8th (28.6mm in new money)
agree - though you forgot the V brake of course - I know it's considered ugly/so no non rulze by some but I find it very accommodating.

I have no plans to buy another. I'm not entirely ruling it out - after all my bike may get nicked or broken, or something like that, but unless that happens I'm sticking with the one I've got. I do have vague plans to get rid of the crap one that I haven't ridden for about 5 years.
what's the "crap one"? will it take wider tyres?

Top Bottom