Wide overtakes seem to be increasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm seeing a lot more lovely wide overtakes but NOT into oncoming traffic. I suspect that because there's been less traffic on the roads due to Covid people feel they don't have to wait so long behind me and so are prepared to overtake nicely. Or perhaps it has something to do with the signs that the county council put up in the summer about overtaking cyclists.

I make an effort to wave a thanks to all the good ones - and the ones who have to sit behind me without opportunity to pass.
Still no shortage of loons round herenin rural Poshshire, but the average overtake has become mucu more considerate and better spaced, no doubt down to my years long campaign of cheery waves at thoughtful motorists. No need to thank me.

Im not sure its the same in town though, where its dog eat dog.

This is so important. We thank everyone cyclists, pedestrians, drivers et al who show us courtesy and respect. Those drivers who sit patiently waiting to pass get a big thumbs up as they come through.

It makes so much difference and reinforces a positive view of cyclists.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The other thing I notice, often with older drivers, is that they can be obsessed with not crossing the double white lines, so they squeeze past us cyclists with inches to spare to make sure they stay within the lines.

Stay in primary so that they are no longer able or tempted to do so.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm sure one day someone's going to cross the white line to overtake me and smash up a clearly visible oncoming vehicle ☹.

I regularly report drivers overtaking forcing oncomers to swerve or brake to a halt. Or overtaking around a blind bend.

keithmac

Guru
Had some very considerate passes tonight on ride home from work with my lad.

A taxi driver and van driver spoiled it though with close pass, normally doesn't rile me up but different when I'm out with my son.

Same as always, one or two bad eggs spoil it for the majority.

Top Bottom