Wide Tyres for 700c Wheels - What's Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm Pondering pushing the envelope a little on the Surly LHT, and going to a 40 or 42c tyre (after all, it'll take 45c with mudguards...)

I'm in unfamiliar territory here, as it seems Michelin don't make the pro-race series in a 40c (imagine that!) so what's good at this size?

Been looking at the Marathon Kevlar, and Conti City Contact so far. I do like a reflective band on the sidewall, but could live without for a sufficiently good tyre...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
have heard positive stuff about the Marathon Supreme:-

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1068-schwalbe-tires-marathon-supreme.html

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
out of curiosity does anyone know if there are sort of points of diminishing returns in relation to tyre sizing? Kind of like, if you aim for comfort without sacrificing too much speed at what size does the sacrifice become too great, 35, 40, 45mm? The Marathan Big Apples seem to get some good writeups in the 50mm size though most say the 60mm is too much. But the 50mm is actually lighter than a M+ in 35mm

petenats

I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Extreme's at 35 on 700c wheels on my Cheviot. They have a pretty aggressive tread pattern and are very sure footed on muddy/stoney towpaths. On road they run really well.

This is the tyre used for the last round the world record and when it comes to puncture resistance his first flat was in Oz!!! I'm hoping for a winter free from punctures. Also for commuting the reflective strip on the sidewall is a real plus.

Comfort wise, they are at least as comfortable as the 2 inch tyres I have on my MTB.

Overall, really impressed. The only MAJOR downside is the price, over £40 per tyre!

I'm sure you can get faster rolling, cheaper tyres in bigger sizes but for me these are the mutts nuts.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
wet grip is fine on good roads but i have noticed the bike getting a bit skittish on wet and rutted country roads.

there is a very rutted and potholed section of road on my commute and i usually avoid the holes, but on the few times i've hit them in the dark (and wet) the back wheel has been pushed sideways a bit, but then i guess this would happen with most slick tyres ??

best thing's about these are the price, the comfort and they are NOT slow ;)

Top Bottom