Wider pedals vs 80s authenticity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrOz

Stacker
I have a 1982 Peugeot project nearing completion, but after a ride with normal trainers yesterday I think I need to revise the pedal/shoe strategy, as the outer bit of the pedal was digging into my foot (in line with little toe). Currently I have Lyotard 136s on it, but I don't know if any quill/rat trap type pedal will always have this issue. Are some wider than others? The original spec was for Maillard CXCs or something, which always come with no toe clips as they're impossible to find, and I don't want to spend much on something that was mass market not that long ago really.

Sadly I can't sneak in some Looks c. 1985 as Mr Eroica tells me they are FORBIDDEN (fair enough I guess).

Any ideas?

Andrew

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What are you wearing on your feet?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you set on rat traps? I've nice rubber blocks (Wellgo LU-808s) on my '83 Falcon and I like them... and it'd probably pass Eroica as they were around back then.

midlife

Guru
Blimey is Kappa stuff still on the go?

How about trying a track pedal in a wider size?

MKS_TECH.JPG

Shaun

Fab Foodie

http://www.sportsdirect.com/kappa-rannock-trainers-mens-249006?colcode=24900603

I know proper lace-up cycling shoes would be better, but the whole endeavour doesn't really warrant that expense.

It might be that my current pedals would be fine with proper shoes, or it might be that different pedals will work and be a cheaper option.
The soles of modern trainers are pretty wide and foamy compared to those of yesteryear, that might be the issue. Otherwise use w non quill pedal with clips.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Thank you very much for the measurements! Any old brands doing the same thing?

Blimey is Kappa stuff still on the go?

I thought that Kappa might keep the 80s vibe...

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Thing is, I've also got some of these...

$T2eC16hHJI!E9qSO-S8OBQLwz-!PJQ~~60_3.JPG

which might be more comfy BUT I haven't got any clips, and all these "aero" designs (c.f. Campag Triomphe et al) feature clips nigh on impossible to find (and when you do they're really expensive). £50 for some clips?!

Fab Foodie

Thing is, I've also got some of these...

$T2eC16hHJI!E9qSO-S8OBQLwz-!PJQ~~60_3.JPG

which might be more comfy BUT I haven't got any clips, and all these "aero" designs (c.f. Campag Triomphe et al) feature clips nigh on impossible to find (and when you do they're really expensive). £50 for some clips?!
I found clips for those quite recently and not so expensive .... I'll try and remember!

Top Bottom