Widespread frost warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
OK, refrain from taking the p***.

BBC today shows overnight temps of 2-3degrees C and has issued such a frost warning. I assume that this will not materially affect the well trafficked roads for example around Putney Bridge but what about the early AM roads in Richmond Park before gates open? Would you venture into the Surrey Hills this AM?

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well I'm about to ride home, and it's not cold. It is bloomin' windy though

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The temps the met office predict are air temps at 1.5 meters above ground .

The ground itself can be colder hense the risk of ice with above zero temperatures forecast.

Main gritted routes are a safe bet on untreated roads take care in shaded areas and on North facing hills.

Reactions: gbs
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
What you say is "scientific" and pragmatic and is now obvious!. Many thanks for the clarification of what appeared to be conflicting signals.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It was supposedly 3 Celsius this morning as I was de-icing my car. The road looked damp, but was icy. A cyclist came off the main road and passed me on the side road, I shouted slow down, but it was too late. He had a tumble a few metres further on. Was ok though.

Sixmile

Veteran
It was supposedly 3 Celsius this morning as I was de-icing my car. The road looked damp, but was icy. A cyclist came off the main road and passed me on the side road, I shouted slow down, but it was too late. He had a tumble a few metres further on. Was ok though.

Glad they were ok, they'll probably feel it later though! It still amazes me that in challenging conditions like frosty and slippy roads, I'll still see cyclists on road bikes with standard skinny tires. There's a lot to be said for riding grippier tyres in the winter and losing a few mph off your average by switching to a hybrid or mtb.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Main gritted routes are a safe bet
Oh no they're not! (Is it still panto season?) My last crash off was on a main gritted route. I think I was simply riding too early for enough traffic to have ground the salt down and melted the ice enough. Small cars were also sliding but all regained it into the bend, unlike me. :B) No, the bike was not fine: the handlebars cracked.

I use studded tyres or at least grippy ones, tyre pressures at the lower end of the usual ranges (still no pinch flats, please), and sometimes a slightly lower saddle if needed to get feet down and jump off more quickly (hey, I may still slide and fall, but at least I shouldn't be tangled in a bike frame).

Did he tumble because he braked as a result of your warning? ;)

Slick

Guru
Glad they were ok, they'll probably feel it later though! It still amazes me that in challenging conditions like frosty and slippy roads, I'll still see cyclists on road bikes with standard skinny tires. There's a lot to be said for riding grippier tyres in the winter and losing a few mph off your average by switching to a hybrid or mtb.
I don't change anything about my set up and my coldest ride this year was minus 8. I did have to be careful in certain sections, but in the main it's all good.

I rarely give weather a second thought, except in high winds.

prod80796_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505.jpg

Top Bottom