Wierd Noise From Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

as im pedaling along, theres a wierd sort of clicking/ticking noise comming from some of the spokes of the rear wheel.

does this mean they need tightening up? the wheel is pretty true, prob to within about 1-2mm.

cheers

What it is is the spokes rubbing together and it is a easy thing to stop all you have to do is put one drip of lube on each of the cross's. If you put a bit to much on just wipe it off with a cloth job done.

Any old lube will do it.

peanut

if you have recently re-trued the wheel or adjusted some spokes you might need to stress relieve them
Grasp the most nearly parallel spoke pairs at mid span on both sides of the wheel ,squeezing them together sucessively round the wheel. Don't overdo it but you should hear any spoke twist being relieved in the nipples
You may need to slightly retrue the wheel after.
A lot of cheap mass produced wheels don't get stress relieved properly which is the most common cause of busted spokes on new wheels apparently

tyred

Legendary Member
On a similar matter, how tight do spokes need to be? I ask because the spokes on my Carlton aren't anything near as tight as the spokes on my mtb. The wheels are true enough though.

jimboalee

YOU think there is a noise coming from your spokes?

Try being a dog. Every time the spokes stretch and relax, they ring. The frequency is above our hearing range, but dogs can hear bikes as a constant howling.

So you wondered why dogs bark and chase cyclists? Now you know.

barq

tyred said:
On a similar matter, how tight do spokes need to be? I ask because the spokes on my Carlton aren't anything near as tight as the spokes on my mtb. The wheels are true enough though.

Tight is good. Obviously you don't want to collapse the rim or rip the eyelets out, so there is an upper limit, but more wheels suffer from being too loose. The strength of a wheel is based on the spokes being tight. When you load the wheel and go over a bump the rim deforms (slightly) and the spokes beneath the hub slacken. The tighter they are to begin with, the more scope there is for de-tensioning before going completely slack.

Rim manufacturers have their own specified limits so you'd need a tensiometer for that. The other consideration is balancing spoke tension which should be as even as possible on each side of a wheel. It is possible to have a round wheel but very uneven spoke tension - but this doesn't make for a durable wheel. :smile:

jimboalee

PrettyboyTim said:
[citation needed]

:sad:

A lunchtime 'prat about' at the Motor Industry Research Association proved this to be true.

A frequency analyser was used to record my bike wheels as I rode past.
The reason for this was such:-

On my commute, there was a dog at a farm who ALWAYS chased to the gate and barked. It didn't matter if the hound was lying facing the oposite way, it would jump up and run to the gate.

The frequecies were similar to those given off by 'dog whistles' from the local pet store, one of which I bought to compare.

There are other dogs at houses I regularly pass who bark furiously.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jim...you are a true boffin..... the guy is most likely right (I say most as probably deffo)

Other reason for human audible creaks is that there is corrosion at the spoke nipple end.....this has happened to me on regular well used and old hand built wheels - i.e. getting on a bit, and un-used HED JETs (alloy braking surface / rim, carbon 50mm lightweight laminate). - A bit of lube sorted this.....

Top Bottom