Wife Pleads For Mercy For Husbands Killer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
You're clearly an idiot who doesn't know what you're talking about. He wouldn't get insurance, the haulage industry is driven by the bottom line if insuring him cost too much they won't take him on.

He will be able to get insurance, it is just a question of how much higher the premiums would be.

And when there is a shortage of drivers, that may not be as much of a barrier as you might think. Of course the haulage industry is driven by the bottom line (most industries are TBH), but if it costs them more to leave trucks idle than to pay more insurance for a driver, then they will pay the excess insurance.

Baldy

Über Member
He will be able to get insurance, it is just a question of how much higher the premiums would be.

It's not a case of a higher premium, it's a case of a flat "NO". Some offences on your licence are a strict no no. I don't know of any insurance company who would touch anyone with a "Death by dangerous driving". I do work in the industry.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
It's not a case of a higher premium, it's a case of a flat "NO". Some offences on your licence are a strict no no. I don't know of any insurance company who would touch anyone with a "Death by dangerous driving". I do work in the industry.

What about death by careless?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think the McGarry should use a bit of moral judgement when considering his future career choices. If not for the "mercy" pleas from the victims wife, he should think about whether he is a safe driver full stop, particularly of such a large vehicle and consider others. After all, a prison sentence may have allowed him that time to reflect... I personally hope his first thoughts are not how quickly he can get back on the road, if indeed it is possible at all in the haulage trade, But with higher premiums, he can certainly get on the road in a car or van and carry on "using the force" when visibility is less than ideal...

Alex321

Veteran

It was death by careless, not death by dangerous.

And you may work "in the industry", but you are wrong
https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/con...nce/info/conviction-codes/dd80-car-insurance/

And even insurers who would not otherwise insure somebody with such a conviction would not even know once it is old enough to no longer require declaring.

I think the McGarry should use a bit of moral judgement when considering his future career choices. If not for the "mercy" pleas from the victims wife, he should think about whether he is a safe driver full stop, particularly of such a large vehicle and consider others. After all, a prison sentence may have allowed him that time to reflect... I personally hope his first thoughts are not how quickly he can get back on the road, if indeed it is possible at all in the haulage trade, But with higher premiums, he can certainly get on the road in a car or van and carry on "using the force" when visibility is less than ideal...

Given he has apparently not driven since the accident, it seems probably he has indeed thought along those lines.

CharleyFarley

We don't know how this affected the driver. Accidentally killing a person can do a lot of mental damage to the killer. President Joe Biden's first wife was killed by a truck coming down a hill. Mrs. Biden and their daughter were shopping for Christmas trees when she pulled out of a side road at the bottom of the hill. The trucker had nowhere to go and smashed into the Biden car, killing the wife and daughter. Police examined the truck and it was in good shape. He hadn't been drinking. His papers were in order and he had an excellent driving record, but the crash destroyed him. He never drove, again, and deteriorated until he died. Perhaps Mr. McGarry was affected that way, and Dr. Maharaj understood this. It's easy to condemn when you don't have all the facts.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
We don't know how this affected the driver. Accidentally killing a person can do a lot of mental damage to the killer. President Joe Biden's first wife was killed by a truck coming down a hill. Mrs. Biden and their daughter were shopping for Christmas trees when she pulled out of a side road at the bottom of the hill. The trucker had nowhere to go and smashed into the Biden car, killing the wife and daughter. Police examined the truck and it was in good shape. He hadn't been drinking. His papers were in order and he had an excellent driving record, but the crash destroyed him. He never drove, again, and deteriorated until he died. Perhaps Mr. McGarry was affected that way, and Dr. Maharaj understood this. It's easy to condemn when you don't have all the facts.

Whilst I wouldn't argue with your point, my sympathies will always lie with the victim rather than the perpetrator, mostly regardless of the circumstances.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Given he has apparently not driven since the accident, it seems probably he has indeed thought along those lines.

We hope that. But given his flaky defence im not sure. But regardless, since we have to share the roads with him, the longer he is off them the safer everyone will be.

Whilst I wouldn't argue with your point, my sympathies will always lie with the victim rather than the perpetrator, mostly regardless of the circumstances.

You can have sympathy for both.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

My cousin had a serious accident which was entirely his fault and which changed the life of another. It haunted him for the rest of his short life.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
A guy I knew reversed over a pedestrain on a building site and killed him; no charges were brought becasue the person shouldn't have been on site. But the driver had a nervous breakdown and had to quit his job. I do feel a bit for the lorry driver, it could have been the only mistake he ever made. But he still cost someone their life and should receive a lifetime driving ban I think. I'm not sure I would be as forgiving as the victim's widow. I'd like to think I would be, but I also know I can be ureasonable and hold grudges.

CharleyFarley

My sympathies are absolutely with the victim and his wife. I don't disregard how the driver may have felt in this case. I lost a 14-year old niece to a drunk driver, and I didn't have any good feelings for the driver, especially after he was sentenced to two years for the killing, and two years for running away from the killing, to run concurrently, and then got out after six months for good conduct. He then married a woman with a teenage daughter, raped and impregnated her, and went back to prison. As far as I was concerned, he should have been executed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I do feel a bit for the lorry driver, it could have been the only mistake he ever made.

That's true.

I've covered cases of absolute knacker killer drivers who are dreadful citizens in all respects.

But on t'other hand, one of the last death by dangerous cases I did was a lorry driver who was a good, honest, family man who had never had so much as a parking ticket.

The backgrounds of killer drivers are delved into quite thoroughly, including what they were doing in the days and hours leading up to the crash.

So we can at least all be assured the sentencing judge was in possession of the full picture.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
You can have sympathy for both.
I'm sorry, but I can't.
My sympathies are absolutely with the victim and his wife. I don't disregard how the driver may have felt in this case. I lost a 14-year old niece to a drunk driver, and I didn't have any good feelings for the driver, especially after he was sentenced to two years for the killing, and two years for running away from the killing, to run concurrently, and then got out after six months for good conduct. He then married a woman with a teenage daughter, raped and impregnated her, and went back to prison. As far as I was concerned, he should have been executed.
We've all got a story, but that has got to be up there. My sympathies for your niece, that's terrible.

CharleyFarley

I'm sorry, but I can't.

We've all got a story, but that has got to be up there. My sympathies for your niece, that's terrible.

Every time I read of another crash or death because of drunk driving, it makes me angry, but I've also thought about alcoholics and what a huge problem they have. I tried to talk a friend into going to AA and he said he will if I'll go, too, so I went and he didn't show up. I was welcomed to the meeting and allowed to stay. During that meeting I listened to each member saying their name and how long it's been since they last took a drink. One man was a retired cop and he said it had been twenty years since his last drink. That made me think he must be cured so why is he still going to AA meetings? Evidently, it's something that may never be cured but they still have to live with the problem. Perhaps they feel that one drink won't hurt, so they drink, go out and drive, and an innocent victim dies. I feel no sympathy for the drunk driver who hurts someone, even though they can't help their alcohol problem.

Top Bottom