Wife's first road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamhearn

Veteran
It seems to be the first thing synapse owners upgrade and several reviews mention it lets the bike down
Not read that... you'll probably find reviews and upgrades are just the nature of the beast with bikes and the internet these days. The fact is that there's almost nothing wrong with any component on bikes at this level.

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
Planet X?
Aren't they SRAM ? What equates to 105 groupset in SRAM ?

However they are in Yorkshire say may be worth a visit.

Whatever she gets she needs to try one for size first

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
PX offer shimano as well on some models too I think, although not the WSD pro carbon

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22LDY/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-22-womens-road-bike

Rival is 105 equivalent. I agree your wife should look at SRAM, the moods are slimmer and often better suited to smaller hands
For now the Giant Avail 1 with cross brakes is looking favourite but we might plan a 4 hour round trip to Sheff just to see what the carbon px is like in the flesh.
Do you have any concerns of full carbon over Alu frames ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Me no, I have both, as well as steel :smile:

Although personally I find carbon and steel more comfortable than alu, but that is likely as much as the actual bike, its geometry and set up as the material used.

The carbon is my fair weather bike. The steel wears mudguards and a pannier rack, as did the Avail 2 I had (replaced by the steel bike)

Cross brakes are very useful especially in traffic. I don't have them on my carbon bike and I am much more wary about braking in traffic and on hills. On long descents, I have to say that even with the slimmer SRAM hoods, my hands get sore between thumb and forefinger, especially with certain mitts that have a seam there (e.g. Specialized BG gel)

I have them on the steel bike and the Single Speed, and they are very helpful. My two cycling buddies have them and mostly don't use the brifters to brake @jefmcg (who has a 2012 Avail 2 which has pretty much been ridden to the moon and back :biggrin: )

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
For now the Giant Avail 1 with cross brakes
What makes them "cross brakes"? Doesn't the Giant Avail come with Tektro TK-R540 which are normal dual pivot rim brakes - i.e. nothing special. Tektro pads are pretty rubbish (hard) so bin 'em and swap them out for something with a bit more feel and capability.

Ignoring the arguments of why a bicycle doesn't need disc brakes, I don't understand how anyone can think a disc is going to be worse than a rim brake..

vickster

Legendary Member
What makes them "cross brakes"? Doesn't the Giant Avail come with Tektro TK-R540 which are normal dual pivot rim brakes - i.e. nothing special. Tektro pads are pretty rubbish (hard) so bin 'em and swap them out for something with a bit more feel and capability.

Ignoring the arguments of why a bicycle doesn't need disc brakes, I don't understand how anyone can think a disc is going to be worse than a rim brake..
He means secondary cross lever brakes on the handle bars in addition to the brifters. Nothing to do with the calipers and pads

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
What makes them "cross brakes"?
Sorry - should have said cross brake levers like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tektro-rl721-cx-brake-levers/rp-prod36636

I am not saying worse but in the case of the Synapse they are reportedly not that brilliant - for disc brakes at least.

adamhearn

Veteran
Ah, "interrupter brakes" is what I know them as; learn something new everyday :okay:

I am not saying worse but in the case of the Synapse they are reportedly not that brilliant - for disc brakes at least.

I'll eat a hat (preferably an organic fibre variant!) if you find that the discs on the Synapse are not as least as good as the Tektro calipers on the Avail :smile: Ultimately your better half will get used to whatever's fitted to the bike and unless you're minted/always chasing the ultimate configuration anything from a bike at this level will give good service for many miles.

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
Ah, "interrupter brakes" is what I know them as; learn something new everyday :okay:

I'll eat a hat (preferably an organic fibre variant!) if you find that the discs on the Synapse are not as least as good as the Tektro calipers on the Avail :smile: Ultimately your better half will get used to whatever's fitted to the bike and unless you're minted/always chasing the ultimate configuration anything from a bike at this level will give good service for many miles.
Indeed it would be unlikely that the discs are any worse yet we have to weigh up how much better they may be and the fact that the bike will only be used in fair weather (unless we get caught in a shower) with the extra weight and cost compared to the Avail 1 which is lighter and cheaper. If they were the same price it would come down to weight versus stopping power in the wet...

gavintc

Guru
When my wife started road cycling, she quickly identified that campag was more comfortable than shimano for her smaller hands. She now only uses campag.

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran

vickster

Legendary Member
105 is smooth and easy to operate, I just couldn't get the bike to stop as effectively as I would like from the hoods. I have an inkling that the hoods may have been redesigned a little with the 11 speed version. Ultegra is a slimmer design, not sure if both 10 and 11 speed options. I've not tried anything beyond the 10 speed Tiagra and 105 as I'm now a SRAM loyalist

Top Bottom