WIfi booster question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a booster set up (as in linked to the new router).
Its in the conservatory as thats the only place I need it.
Question........do I leave it plugged in/switched on permanently?
Does it cost anything/use power to do that?
Thanks.

We leave ours on even when we go on holiday.

Yes it will cost you to leave it on, but the cost is minimal. We can calculate it for you if you can tell us how many watts it consumes. It will be somewhere on the unit.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes it will cost you to leave it on, but the cost is minimal. We can calculate it for you if you can tell us how many watts it consumes. It will be somewhere on the unit.
Really!!! I will have a look on the instruction leaflet.
BTW......I had to get my grandson to get it up and working.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Yellow Saddle . The online information tells me the usage is 3 watt. No other information. Is that 24/7 or when I am on the internet.

@Yellow Saddle . The online information tells me the usage is 3 watt. No other information. Is that 24/7 or when I am on the internet.
That's 24/7.

It is extremely little. Your electricity cost is probably about 14p per kwh. In 24 hours your extender will consume 24 x 3 watts. That's 72 watthours. In a year, it will consume 72 x 365 watts. That's 26280 watthours. . In kwh (your suppier's mesuring unit) that's 26280/1000 = 26.28 kwh. Assuming it costs 14p per kwh, you are paying 26.3 x 14=3.68 pounds per year to keep it plugged in and using it.

Since a beer costs 1.34 pounds, I'd rather not have extra wifi and two extra beers instead. But, the choice is yours.

Caveat: As we're speaking, someone on here is tapping away at a calculator and will correct me in 1-2-3...nevertheless, bask in the cheapness of it all while you can.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Turning it on and off when you need it would be a pain. Would it have to be reconfigured every time?
Ours is on the landing and stays on 24/7.
We have 4 smart TVs, Hive central heating, plus 2 iPads and 3 mobiles all running on WiFi. This list will only get longer.

Edit I forgot the 3 alexas. Stupid things.

a beer costs 1.34 pounds

I'm surprised you have wifi back there in 1978, the last time a beer cost £1.34

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's not about the cost. The huge issue is that all these millions and millions of little modern gizmos that have an 'insignificant' standby/background consumption and are peppered liberally around our homes all add up and together we are adding dozens of power station capacity required as a result. Your extender might not use much, but it uses more than nothing so any time spent switched off contributes to a global saving in energy consumption.

tom73

Guru
It’s like @I like Skol may not be much but adds up not just the bigger picture but your own bill.
We turn our internet off when we don’t use or out the house unless mid download or software update.
Then again we don’t leave anything on stand by either

Top Bottom