Wifi connectors and clouds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
USB Wireless Network Adapter - £8.99 - http://www.ebuyer.com/649844-asus-usb-n10-nano-wireless-n150-usb-adapter-usb-n10-nano - plug it in, let Windows install the drivers, then find your wireless network ID and connect to it.

As to photo / media / music storage, a 2TB (2000GB) portable USB drive should do the trick @ £77 - http://www.ebuyer.com/543085-wd-my-...-external-hard-drive-black-wdbmwv0020bbk-eesn

Microsoft offer cloud-based storage with their One Drive - Google offers Google Drive - and if you're looking for only synchronised backup of your PC and data, I use Code 42's Crashplan.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

MiK1138

Veteran
With Regards the CLOUD Microsoft offer free cloud hosting via Live.com thinks it 15 Gig free

I use Clouds for ease of access

However I would not dream of relying fully on them
All my photos and other data are on both the Time Capsuleand another HDD

Travelling I use an Airstash with a couple of high capacity SDXC cards

Far lighter and less bulky than an HDD

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
USB Wireless Network Adapter - £8.99 - http://www.ebuyer.com/649844-asus-usb-n10-nano-wireless-n150-usb-adapter-usb-n10-nano - plug it in, let Windows install the drivers, then find your wireless network ID and connect to it.

As to photo / media / music storage, a 2TB (2000GB) portable USB drive should do the trick @ £77 - http://www.ebuyer.com/543085-wd-my-...-external-hard-drive-black-wdbmwv0020bbk-eesn

Microsoft offer cloud-based storage with their One Drive - Google offers Google Drive - and if you're looking for only synchronised backup of your PC and data, I use Code 42's Crashplan.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

I use one drive for attachments but find it clumsy to use, not sure I'd,like to use it for my back ups
I have a 1tb portable drive but not sure I trust it
The back up sounds interesting is it automatic or do you have to do it manually?

Shaun

Founder
The back up sounds interesting is it automatic or do you have to do it manually?

It's automatic. You set the files and folders you want to synchronise and it does it based on changes. It also has versioning so you can go back to a previous itteration of the file if you accidentally overwrite it with new/incorrect data.

You can even fool it into backing up your network drives too, such as a NAS box but creating a mapped drive as the 'system' user in Windows, but if you don't have a NAS it won't be a problem.

Recovery is a case of logging in at the website and then drilling down to the files or folders you want to recover. It then splits them into ZIP files and you download and unzip on the machine. :okay:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Problem with powerline adaptors is they generate quite a lot of RF noise, and if you have anyone around who likes listening to weak radio signals they will be upset. They also are a security risk, depending on how your mains is connected. Wired will always be faster.

cd365

Guru
Problem with powerline adaptors is they generate quite a lot of RF noise, and if you have anyone around who likes listening to weak radio signals they will be upset. They also are a security risk, depending on how your mains is connected. Wired will always be faster.
Weak radio signals! Do people still do that?
I'm sure the powerline adapters are encrypted

Also depends on your reasons

I love Mendeley as a free reference manager

Also has the advantage of accessibility if you need to discuss an article or reference with tutors or assessors

Drago

Legendary Member
Check none of your nearish neighbours are radio hams like wot i is, or they'll complain to OFCUM who'll make you remove your new PLAs, like wot i did.

Even the best ones from the likes of BT are horrendous for RF pollution and should really be avoided.

Top Bottom