Wifi connectors and clouds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Check none of your nearish neighbours are radio hams like wot i is, or they'll complain to OFCUM who'll make you remove your new PLAs, like wot i did.

Even the best ones from the likes of BT are horrendous for RF pollution and should really be avoided.

Hadn't realised you could get them removed, was it much hassle? I'll have to get my FT817 out. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
OFCUM were surprisingly helpful.

I got an 817 too, though its made way for an FT950 now. Widebanded FT1800 in the car for ham and SAR work.

I'm not a huge distance up the M1 from you if you ever fancied a QSO on HF or 2.

Drago

Legendary Member
The neighbour had little practical choice - remove them, or go to court for wireless telegraphy offences. Its rare that such cases get to court for Setion 58 offences, but when they do the fines tend to be significant and confiscation inevitable. If that's not an arm up their back...?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The neighbour had little practical choice - remove them, or go to court for wireless telegraphy offences. Its rare that such cases get to court for Setion 58 offences, but when they do the fines tend to be significant and confiscation inevitable. If that's not an arm up their back...?
I've had it the other way round in that an old neighbour was a radio ham and one of the cables in my HiFi was a 'sympathetic' length to his radio frequency so I could hear his transmissions through my speakers.
Don't they talk some drivel. :cursing: Mind you when I told his wife about some of the people he'd been talking to and what he was arranging to do to some of his 'chums' both he and the radio set seemed to vanish toot sweet. :wahhey:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Strangely I smoke Old Holborn in Liquorice papers, wear a studded belt with a large buckle and have been known to wear a Plaid shirt (a la Rory Gallagher)
Never been tempted by CB radio though.

I've had it the other way round in that an old neighbour was a radio ham and one of the cables in my HiFi was a 'sympathetic' length to his radio frequency so I could hear his transmissions through my speakers.
Don't they talk some drivel. :cursing: Mind you when I told his wife about some of the people he'd been talking to and what he was arranging to do to some of his 'chums' both he and the radio set seemed to vanish toot sweet. :wahhey:

Years ago after the Isle of Wight Randonnee a group of us met in the pub

One guy was telling us how his daughter had been haranguing him about the dangers of meeting strange people that you only knew from the Internet

.... And they don't come much stranger

cd365

Guru
Thanks all, I think the power line adapters are the way to go, these look good as they have the extra sockets in them.
One questions, how would I add additional plugs/adapters? Is one a sender and one a receiver? If so could I just add more receivers? Would they need to be the same type?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-A...-plug-2-pak-/281773215166?hash=item419afe0dbe
Just buy 2 sets and they will just work, you can add other brands but I like them to be the same

Thanks all, I think the power line adapters are the way to go, these look good as they have the extra sockets in them.
One questions, how would I add additional plugs/adapters? Is one a sender and one a receiver? If so could I just add more receivers? Would they need to be the same type?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-A...-plug-2-pak-/281773215166?hash=item419afe0dbe
They are coded (encrypted and linked to only talk to each other) so whilst you have a 2 way pair, you can't add to them easily. You can buy sets that have three or more in them which are already coded to talk to each other. Make sure the ones you are purchasing are the latest because that way you will have the faster connection speed. Mine are now out of date in that sense and slower than they need to be, but I did find them useful. One great thing about them is that they are designed to talk to only each other which makes them secure. Useful when 4 houses share the same circuits and single meter and you don't know who could also be using similar tech... as in my case!

cd365

Guru
They are coded (encrypted and linked to only talk to each other) so whilst you have a 2 way pair, you can't add to them easily. You can buy sets that have three or more in them which are already coded to talk to each other. Make sure the ones you are purchasing are the latest because that way you will have the faster connection speed. Mine are now out of date in that sense and slower than they need to be, but I did find them useful. One great thing about them is that they are designed to talk to only each other which makes them secure. Useful when 4 houses share the same circuits and single meter and you don't know who could also be using similar tech... as in my case!
You can add to them easily i recently bought 2 sets and plugged all 4 in and they all worked no bother

cd365

Guru
Mine are but you can mix brands. I personally wouldn't though. Hence why I bought 4 to replace the 3 I had. I upgraded from 200mb to 500mb though

Top Bottom