Wigan Canapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The Velvet Curtain said:
Black Pudding on Sticks

Was it proper black pudding tho'? It's not proper black pudding if it has those white bits in :biggrin: How can black pudding be black if it's got white bits in :blush:

Southern black pudding (with white bits in) - it's just wrong I tells yee :rolleyes:

OP
OP
T

TVC

Was it proper black pudding tho'? It's not proper black pudding if it has those white bits in How can black pudding be black if it's got white bits in

It was cheap black pudding, plenty of white bits, not very pleasant...but I approved of the idea:smile:

longers

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
Was it proper black pudding tho'? It's not proper black pudding if it has those white bits in How can black pudding be black if it's got white bits in

It was cheap black pudding, plenty of white bits, not very pleasant...but I approved of the idea:smile:

Aren't the white bits supposed to be oats? That's what I was always told or is it more sinister?

What's white pudding made out of?

laertes

I went to the restauraunt in Wigan once and had black pudding for a starter. A friend of mine reports that a pub in Cambridgeshire does a Lancashire Salad - lettuce, tomato and four slices of black pud.

In Ireland they do white pudding as well as black - it is definitely not oats and now I am worried!

monnet

Guru
Black pudding, white pudding it all tastes great to me. But then I'm Lancastrian through and through.

longers;33801][quote name= said:

It was cheap black pudding, plenty of white bits, not very pleasant...but I approved of the idea:smile:[/QUOTE]

Aren't the white bits supposed to be oats? That's what I was always told or is it more sinister?

What's white pudding made out of?[/QUOTE]

As a general rule, if something has an innocuous name, sweetbread, lamb's fries, white pudding etc., it's to disguise the fact that the contents are somewhat yukky.

"...andouillette de Troyes..."

In the dim and dark days when I ate 'meat'- I 'celebrated' my honeymoon in Rue Lepic, Paris by having a 'romantic' meal featuring one of these 'mothers'...

Complicated and full of the biggest c*** stuff imaginable - a veritable delicacy!

On reflection, an indicator of what was to come in the marriage :biggrin: (well, that one anyway! :rolleyes::blush::sad:)

Give me a roasted fig dripping in gorgonzola any day...

monnet

Guru
Just to go back to the beginning of the thread, I think that is a great canape.

And for those with adventurous tastes I recommend 'callos' if you are ever in Madrid. It's the traditional local dish.

I was on a train passing through Wigan North Western last week and there on the opposite platform was a rather rotund gentleman slapping a pie into a roll and tucking in. I was most amused. Incidentally, I am from Bury, the home of the black pudding. The white bits are lumps of animal fat. I don't eat them. They give me wind... :rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

No-one has mentioned Red Pudding yet. That's excellent. Can't stand White, but would eat black until I failed a dope test.

Black pud crops up all the time masquerading as a "warm salad".

Top Bottom