1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wigan Canapes

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by The Velvet Curtain, 4 Aug 2007.

1. The Velvet Curtain

The Velvet Curtain Hasa Diga Eebowai

I went to my nephews wedding in Wigan yesterday, just the usual type of bash with bucks fizz and canapes when we arrived at the reception. So the waitress brings round the tray of nibbles, and along with the salmon puffs and mushroom vol-au-vents is:

Black Pudding on Sticks

Fantastic, pure ecke-thump!:blush:

Apparently my nephew had gone out for a beer with his dad and brothers the night before and they all finished off the evening with Wigan Kebabs - a pie in a bun.:rolleyes: It's a different world.

Apart from the well known 'deep fried everything' in Glasgow, are there any other local delicacies I'm missing out on?

2. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

tripe - the stuff you eat, not your post!:rolleyes::biggrin:

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Does Wigan really exist, then?

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

And so many varieties ... and don't forget udder ... pigs chaps ... chitterlings ... brawn ... beast heart ... pig and sheep brain ... pigs trotters ... calves foot (complete with hoof). I suppose a lot of those have gone out of fashion now (at least I've not seen any in ASDA :blush:)

5. The Velvet Curtain

The Velvet Curtain Hasa Diga Eebowai

Yep, I saw the pier and everything. Whilst I was there a plane flew over and everyone pointed at it, I'm not sure what that means.

6. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Lava Bread and Cockles, with smoked Bacon for breakfast!

7. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

yes, the martians landed there:biggrin:

8. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

I honestly thought 'wigan canapes' was a euphemism before I clicked on the thread!

Up here we have chippy sauce, an Edinburgh speciality, it's a bit like a vinegary watery tangy version of brown sauce...I don't think my description does it justice, it's great!

9. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Possibly, that they'd not seen a plane before.

10. bobg

bobg Über Member

I'd say "bloody soft southerners" if I hadn't noticed where some you live. I'll have you know Wigan is the Chigwell of the North West. I went to London once and you can't even get gravy on yer chips :rolleyes: What's that about?

11. Big Bren

Big Bren New Member

Babbies yed anyone?!

Bren

12. longers

longers Veteran

My dad knows a Wigan Kebab as a "slappie" -ie the pie gets put in the bun with very little thought for its feelings.

13. longers

longers Veteran

Apologies for being an eejit.

14. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You mean 'up North' they put gravy onto chips, no wonder so many come South to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

The south is clearly a cultural desert because not only can you not get gravy on your chips, they don't do steak puds either and they haven't got a clue about black pudding.