Wigan Canapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

I went to my nephews wedding in Wigan yesterday, just the usual type of bash with bucks fizz and canapes when we arrived at the reception. So the waitress brings round the tray of nibbles, and along with the salmon puffs and mushroom vol-au-vents is:

Black Pudding on Sticks

Fantastic, pure ecke-thump!:blush:

Apparently my nephew had gone out for a beer with his dad and brothers the night before and they all finished off the evening with Wigan Kebabs - a pie in a bun.:rolleyes: It's a different world.

Apart from the well known 'deep fried everything' in Glasgow, are there any other local delicacies I'm missing out on?

tripe - the stuff you eat, not your post!:rolleyes::biggrin:

piedwagtail91 said:
tripe - the stuff you eat, not your post!:rolleyes::biggrin:

And so many varieties ... and don't forget udder ... pigs chaps ... chitterlings ... brawn ... beast heart ... pig and sheep brain ... pigs trotters ... calves foot (complete with hoof). I suppose a lot of those have gone out of fashion now (at least I've not seen any in ASDA :blush:)

OP
OP
T

TVC

Does Wigan really exist, then?

Yep, I saw the pier and everything. Whilst I was there a plane flew over and everyone pointed at it, I'm not sure what that means.

Melvil

I honestly thought 'wigan canapes' was a euphemism before I clicked on the thread!

Up here we have chippy sauce, an Edinburgh speciality, it's a bit like a vinegary watery tangy version of brown sauce...I don't think my description does it justice, it's great!

The Velvet Curtain said:
Does Wigan really exist, then?

Whilst I was there a plane flew over and everyone pointed at it, I'm not sure what that means.

Possibly, that they'd not seen a plane before.

bobg

Über Member
I'd say "bloody soft southerners" if I hadn't noticed where some you live. I'll have you know Wigan is the Chigwell of the North West. I went to London once and you can't even get gravy on yer chips :rolleyes: What's that about?

longers

Legendary Member
My dad knows a Wigan Kebab as a "slappie" -ie the pie gets put in the bun with very little thought for its feelings.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The south is clearly a cultural desert because not only can you not get gravy on your chips, they don't do steak puds either and they haven't got a clue about black pudding.

Top Bottom