Wiggins is now pro-compulsion it seems .... Nobber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I didn't mean everybody all the time I was talking as a trend -
I think you're right with this, the pros wear them, so the club riders wear them, so the commuters wear them, so the sunday riders wear them. There's a whole lot of trying to fit in going on.

Dan B

Disengaged member
People just abandon them by the side of the road. Often when they go inside to watch tele, eat or sleep.
Yeah, they're all over the place round here, but I've never yet ridden into one

Licramite

Über Member
So, you've persuaded nagged your father in law into wearing a helmet because he banged his head when he wasn't (I assume) riding a bike, despite the fact that he's managed to reach the grand old age of 80 and never worn a helmet, so has managed not to die whilst not wearing one for quite a long time. Then you let us know that it is debatable that one is more likely to bang your head cycling than walking, particularly it could be suggested for an 80 year old, I'm guessing however that you're not suggesting that anyone, even your 80 year old father in law, should wear a helmet whilst walking, even though as you say yourself it would be a good idea for your father in law.
Can you not read what you're typing?

if I could get him to wear a helmet all the time I would , but I could only point out the possibility on his bike.
If his head wound healed without complications he wouldn't have , but at his age head wounds - even minor ones can become serious and yes he's far more likely to bang his head off his bike, he's equally likely to on (or not actually on as your rarely actually on your bike when you fall off it - bit like parachuting, very few have died parachuting, most die on hitting the ground and your not parachuting then) his bike.

I know its "Abuse " as some numpty put it to force children - and in this case old pesons - to wear those life threatening devices. -
but we all have to take a bit of abuse on occasions.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
if I could get him to wear a helmet all the time I would , but I could only point out the possibility on his bike.
Did you try really really hard?
If his head wound healed without complications he wouldn't have , but at his age head wounds - even minor ones can become serious and yes he's far more likely to bang his head off his bike, he's equally likely to on (or not actually on as your rarely actually on your bike when you fall off it - bit like parachuting, very few have died parachuting, most die on hitting the ground and your not parachuting then) his bike.
He's far more likely to bang his head off his bike which he is equally likely to bang his head on?

Licramite

Über Member
Did you try really really hard?

He's far more likely to bang his head off his bike which he is equally likely to bang his head on?
Actually considering the number of times I bang my head I think I should wear my helmet al the time, plus elbow pads, knee pads, leg armour.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I wonder what horse riders feel about helmet wearing, they are in a similar situation to cyclists (but higher).
Not sure, there are a few horse riders and ex horse riders on here that will probably be able to help. I would guess that a horse could be a little less predictable than a bike though, but I stand to be corrected.

@User13710 could probably help us.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Exactly!

Licramite

Über Member
I didn't mean everybody all the time I was talking as a trend - of course every consideration can be refuted by "Well I don't" but thats taking the pedants way not holistic way.
It's just an observation , - and meaningless - isn't everything.

whats the ratio of helmet wearers to non helmets wearers in your club?
I was wondering if its a peir pressure thing not to wear them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Actually considering the number of times I bang my head I think I should wear my helmet al the time, plus elbow pads, knee pads, leg armour.
I posted in another thread that I have managed to bang my head at least 4 times on kitchen cupboards over the last 18 months or so, the last time was a couple of weeks ago and there was even blood involved, per hour or per mile my kitchen is a far more dangerous environment for me than the road, I've managed to avoid hitting my head once whilst cycling over the same time period.

Licramite

Über Member
What so your saying just because he's as likely to bang his head walking as to cycling he shouldn't bother wear a helmet
when logically he should wear a helmet all the time, so how is it logical not to wear a helmet cycling just because he doesn't when walking ?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I would suggest that to the participant the outcome would seem to have been very "conclusive"
Often, yes. But that's a biased view. When you take a less biased view you often find that it's not as conclusive as the participant thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom