Wiggins is now pro-compulsion it seems .... Nobber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the same way that I don't give a toss if people choose to smoke (as long as they don't blow their smoke near me), I don't give a toss if people don't wear helmets, as I believe totally in free choice and am definitely against compulsion (as long as they don't bleed near me).

Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes not.

Dan B

Disengaged member
What so your saying just because he's as likely to bang his head walking as to cycling he shouldn't bother wear a helmet
when logically he should wear a helmet all the time, so how is it logical not to wear a helmet cycling just because he doesn't when walking ?
No

What so your saying just because he's as likely to bang his head walking as to cycling he shouldn't bother wear a helmet
when logically he should wear a helmet all the time, so how is it logical not to wear a helmet cycling just because he doesn't when walking ?
Simples

Are head injuries worth preventing or not

Is a head injury less traumatic,painful or debilitating if not cycling when it happens

Both cyclists and walkers should have the choice

Licramite

Über Member
Simples

Are head injuries worth preventing or not

Is a head injury less traumatic,painful or debilitating if not cycling when it happens

Both cyclists and walkers should have the choice

if we are talking compulsion I agree , it is my human right to bang my head when and were I want, without undue protection so I may experience( even enjoy) the full effect

Dan B

Disengaged member
no? - to what?
You asked if I was saying something. I'm not at all sure what specifically you asked about because frankly your post bore little more resemblance to intelligible English than the four times table does to the Fibonacci sequence, but the chances are that I wasn't saying it. Whatever it was

screenman

Legendary Member
I posted in another thread that I have managed to bang my head at least 4 times on kitchen cupboards over the last 18 months or so, the last time was a couple of weeks ago and there was even blood involved, per hour or per mile my kitchen is a far more dangerous environment for me than the road, I've managed to avoid hitting my head once whilst cycling over the same time period.

Not a fast learner are you^_^

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Look, it's quite simple.

There are plenty of everyday activities that have a similar, if not greater, risk of head injury as cycling.

Walking
DIY
Getting things down from the loft

Yet cycling is uniquely singled out as requiring protective helmets.

Why?

No one has been able to satisfactorily answer this.

The fact is that cycling is low risk, and a helmet isn't necessary.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Now if you had only added, in your opinion.

What sort of cycling do you do?

No, the evidence clearly shows it.

Actually, I do wear a helmet when mountain biking, as I fall off at low speed a lot. I think if I hit my head it might save me from some cuts and grazes.

I don't wear one when road cycling.

screenman

Legendary Member
No, the evidence clearly shows it.

Actually, I do wear a helmet when mountain biking, as I fall off at low speed a lot. I think if I hit my head it might save me from some cuts and grazes.

I don't wear one when road cycling.

What evidence is that?

As previously.... If you assume that a helmet works...

Walking when drunk? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Walking when old and frail? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Walking across the road? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Walking in general? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Cycling on a cycle track? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Cycling on a road? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Driving a car? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Passenger in a car? Is there a benefit - Yes.

Now all you need to do is explain why any of these groups does not need that protection, but the others do

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3708857, member: 45"]Walking when drunk? Yes.

Walking when old and frail? Yes.

Walking across the road? Yes.

Walking in general? No.[/QUOTE]
You could say exactly the same for cycling. Cycling while drunk or off-road or on ice ... risk of coming off. Utility cycling on an ordinary road ... not so much. If you're going to segment one group you should do the same for the other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom