Wiggle Wight Ferry Sportive July 24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone else from here doing this one?

Its my first wigle sportive and I'm looking forward to it, the ferry across the solent and back adds to the fun, for me anyway, and I haven't been to the Isle of Wight for about 30 years either

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I haven't been to the Isle of Wight for about 30 years either

Lucky you - I married a girl from there!
wacko.gif

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, I'm in. And as there are no trains from Pompey early enough (first into Brockenhurst is after the start time, or get into Southampton at 7.40 and ride from there) , I'm going to ride to the start too. This will be my fourth Wiggle series event, and the UK Cycling Events team do a really good job. Feed stations well stocked, clear signage, and pretty good value for money by the time you consider all the other stuff thrown in.

nantes23

I'll be there too, driving down from Wiltshire in the morning.
Wiggle always do well organised events (my last one was Bournemouth in May).
Are you doing the 100miler ? (probably nearer 95 I think)

I've Memory mapped the Epic ride already.
15 miles (flat) to Lymington.
63 miles undulating on Isle of Wight. (from what I can see the big climb is the Down leading up to Blackgang)
16 miles (mainly flat) back to Brockenhurst.

Should be a laugh!!! :laugh:

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I just hope I can get my car fixed in time, had a bit of a prang Monday evening, should be in the repairers early next week and hopefully back by Friday, I can't see me being able to fit my bike in the back of one of these places little courtesy cars. Unless I go for a complete dismantle and rebuild before and after!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'll be there too, driving down from Wiltshire in the morning.
Wiggle always do well organised events (my last one was Bournemouth in May).
Are you doing the 100miler ? (probably nearer 95 I think)

I've Memory mapped the Epic ride already.
15 miles (flat) to Lymington.
63 miles undulating on Isle of Wight. (from what I can see the big climb is the Down leading up to Blackgang)
16 miles (mainly flat) back to Brockenhurst.

Should be a laugh!!! :laugh:

Blackgang's straightforward enough if you're even a reasonable climber, and it's easier (IMHO) going clockwise, which is the way we're doing it. I didn't even use my inner chainring last time (few weeks back). Freshwater Bay's a bit harder to my mind, not as long but steeper. The rest of the regular round the island route is lumpy, quite a few short but nasty little climbs, and I don't expect the sportive variations to be any different.

nantes23

Blackgang's straightforward enough if you're even a reasonable climber, and it's easier (IMHO) going clockwise, which is the way we're doing it. I didn't even use my inner chainring last time (few weeks back). Freshwater Bay's a bit harder to my mind, not as long but steeper. The rest of the regular round the island route is lumpy, quite a few short but nasty little climbs, and I don't expect the sportive variations to be any different.

Thanks for the info!
All I can remember is what i've done in the car on the island.
The Freshwater climb off the cliff has just come back to me.
Should be a good ride as long as the weather (more importantly the wind) is kind.
Good chance to have a chat with other riders on the ferry too!!

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I agree, the climb at Blackgang (clockwise) is a lot easier, however, watch your descent the other side.. there is a nasty bend about half way down that has seen a fair few accidents.
The climbs towards Freshwater (there are two back to back) are long, but not really nasty if you find a rhythm (I am convinced the other direction is harder!).
The biggest challenge for the southern side of the island is the wind.. if its a headwind, then it won't be quite so fun! (every time I have followed a clockwise route, the weather has been horrid!)

Sadly I am working, otherwise I would have loved to have entered this event. It's a bit different from the usual ones (which I am getting a bit bored of).
Good luck and have a great day :smile:

I'm in too :smile: looking forward to it should be different. Have done a couple of Wiggle UK Events they have been well signed, good feed stations, well organised. Should be a good challenge fingers crossed for a good day and as little wind as possible

Heather

I'm in too. A little disappointed that its not quite going to be 100 miles but should still be a good day out.

After a 195k sportive yesterday, it might feel nice and short!

Top Bottom