Wiggle Wight Ferry Sportive July 24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nantes23

I take it was the Anthony Maynard Sportive you did out of Theale.
The weather was pretty awful out Lambourn way !

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Grumble, Moan.
Did the Wiggle New Forest ride back in March & it was great. I stayed at the YH in Burley, saved a 90+ minute drive at 5am.
Signed up for this one months ago & had planned again to stay at YH, but then a friend said she'd ride with me & we could stay in her camper van night before, she managed to book one of the last places going a few weeks ago.
Sadly she's just had to pull out.. So i've just called the YH - They fully booked
I've checked out campsites, quite a few close enough to Brocklehurst, but not sure I fancy taking down my big family tent at 6am either - Looks like 4am wake up/5am drive fo me then
:sad:

Chris.IOW

Feeling your pain, I've had enough of 5am starts to get the 6am ferry to get to rides. No fun on a Sunday.

But at least you get plenty of time to fuel up for a great ride. :smile:

nantes23

Looks like the weather is settling down for the weekend.
Not TOO warm but at least looks dry and lightish winds.
ISLE OF WIGHT HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!

lioubine

Hello people! I'm a little late to the party and only just found out about this event a couple of days ago and would love to do it! Anyone know of any spare 100k tickets going? Thanks, Alex

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Done it! The standard 66 mile route that is:

Highlights: Actually the climbs and descents of Blackgang and Freshwater Bay, those last two back to back are challenging! The ferry out and back made it different.

Low's Two short but brutally steep climbs (for me anyway) not far into the Island section, I actually had to walk the very last parts of two of them and I haven't had to walk a hill for quite some time.

Breaking the journey on the ferry on the way back played havoc with my leg muscles, I could feel them stiffening up, so consequently it took me a while to get going again on the return leg to Brockenhurst, and missing the final signpost back towards the college waiting like a pratt by the railway gates before realising I was going the wrong way hasn't helped the aim of reaching the gold standard either! :angry:

Other than that a really good day out, great organisation and very enjoyable, I'm going to see what other ones are available now before the end of the year.

But the traffic geting back to the M3! Lyndhurst NEEDS a bypass

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was fun. I particularly liked the way the route included some lumpy bits the regular round the island route misses...lol. Nicely challenging though. Blackgang is much easier going clockwise than anti, but Freshwater's tougher. Fortunately, this time round I remembered to switch down to the little ring in plenty of times. I did walk a bit on one climb, but only because some prat of a driver didn't give me any room to manoevre and I had to stop. Just over 5 hours for the standard course- well into bronze territory, but apart from being too darn slow to bother higher timing standards, I'd rather enjoy a ride in nice countryside and not kill myself.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
FANTASTIC!!
Met up with another rider about 10 miles in, her first 'long' ride, she'd never done more than 30 before & she was doing it solo. So we decided to keep each other company, finished a bit slower than normal as a result but it was worth it.
I'm not a 'hill fan' my knee starts to twinge over a certain gradient, but I managed everyone today, aprt from the odd times when I had to stop due to cars not giving room as StuAFF has mentioned & a couple of riders that did Lets just stop dead trick!
And i'll second OldGreys thought... Lyndhurst does need a Bypass!!

nantes23

Great ride today.:biggrin:
Done the full route just under 95 miles in approx 6hrs 30m.
Pretty happy with that considering IOW is a lot hillier than I thought.
Dare I say it but actually liked the Blackgang and Freshwater climbs. I managed to get in a good steady rhythm
up both and was picking off riders steadily considering I had 60+ miles in the legs, I was fairly pleased with my efforts.
The ferry stops did break up the flow a bit, but hey that was all part of the experience and was different.
Really enjoyed the 16mile back to Brockenhurst from Lymington, I could'nt believe how well I was feeling!!!
All in all Wiggle put on a good show apart from a few dodgy sign placements and I would recommend that on the back of their finishing medals they actually put the event name and date (to make it more personal) otherwise they all just look the same and mean nothing and I am getting quite a collection at home.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Talking through the ride to a couple of mates last night & something popped into my mind that I hadn't registered before... I seemed to pass an awful lot of upside bikes and folk pumping tyres!!
The P fairy seemed to be quite busy on Sunday, I don't think i've ever seen that many out on one ride before
?

deanE

Thinking of booking to do this ride in 2012. I'm a Novice rider not doing more than a 60 mile trip since starting cycling in July 2011 but would like to try the EPIC route. Anyone know what the maximum permitted time allowed is?

Top Bottom