Wiggo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Sky's kit isn't the only very dark kit though. Caisse D'Epargne's kit is also dark and aren't they the leading team at present?

Sky is a very new team and i dare say the 9 tour riders haven't raced much together this season, so hopefully it's just part of the learning curve.

Brad had a decent day yesterday although the pace was pretty steady.

zacklaws

Guru
Today I wore my white Cyclechat jersey for the first time out in the sun and within a couple of miles I was cooking, the side of my body facing the sun was toasting, usually I wear Reds, Blues and Black and I've never felt the heat like I did today. I've always gone along with the theory that whites cooler in the sun, but today has proved me wrong and won't make the mistake again.

But on the other hand, it is a good snug fit and also its white inside, so perhaps the heat transfer from the body is not so good and also if it was a very loose fit then heat from the outside may not transfer so easily to the body.

navrat_biker

Dont understand why they went with black? As you know yourself when wearing it on a non exercising activity you get hot and sweat like a pig. The sky team must be taking in far more hydration than they normally would than other teams due to this mis-judgement in team kit. When they launched it the first thing i thought was - oh my they are gonna cook in france in that.

Correct - and having an impact on their performance as a result.

I bet the person/team of people behind the design - live in darken rooms with no idea of cycling and sunlight!!

BigSteev

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned that Cervelo changed their kit from black to white for last year's tour and are using a white/light grey one this year.

JNR

Probably tradition actually. There are many desert tribes (of whatever religion) that do wear black. And don't forget black skin is from a high sun climate. Black also radiates heat away better than white.

Anyone know what the actauly %difference it makes?

I think whatever colour kit you have you'll get hot on the Tour!

Black skin is there to absorb radiation from the sun, the dead skin layer in the darker skin is better at keeping the live skin protected from the harmful effects of sun light than white skin. This is also why we tan in the sun and why after 6 weeks of cycling I now have the most ridiculous tan I've ever had. If I take my white cycling jersey off it looks like I've got another white one on underneath!

Top Bottom