Wild Camping in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
is WWoofing a bit like Dogging? If it is count me in on this trip :bicycle:

You will all have to Google DOGGING now. :laugh:

Steve

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I love wild camping - especially the al fresco wash at the end of a long hot day of cycling. Husband and I have wild camped in many places in Europe and Scandinavia and had absolutely no problems. Every bike ride I go on I still register potential camping spots, even when I'm out for a pootle near home. Obsessed!
We have some great memories of places we have camped - a little secluded grassy area on the edge of Lake Maggiore, Italy (we stayed two nights), the grounds of an abandoned farm building in the middle of rice fields (owner came along and showed us where to get fresh water from), again in Italy (Italian camp sites = expensive), a beautiful forest in France where we were visited by three police men who simply suggested that we moved on before the forest ranger started his shift the next day (very funny)... Over looking Lake Lucerne, Switzerland, in a spot that had obviously been vacated by another wild camper that morning. The only issue we had in Germany was finding water - no fresh water sources, just cigarette machines!
We found that as soon as people saw we were traveling by bike any issues there may have been simply melted away - the beauty of the bicycle.

Do be sure to take a large bladder that can be filled towards the end of your cycling day when you begin to look out for good camping spots (for washing, cooking & hot drinks), along with a foldable bowl should you fancy a refreshing wash (shorts too can then be washed) - the treat is to heat the water first!

Oh, and we saw no dogging. Hopefully next time ;)

BLUE(UK)

I have 'wild camped' a lot in Europe when touring on my m/cycles and have never had any issues.
Be sensible and it will be problem free.

Top Bottom