Wild Camping near Edinburgh or Tarbet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Complete newbie here. I live in the Glasgow area and have recently been doing some day trips out to places like Bowling, Clyde Bank, Loch Ness and Falkirk on the bike using the forth and clyde canal way (great beginner route btw) and Im looking to go further afield. Just got my one man tent and camping gear and want to try an overnight stay so was planning on using the canal path to cycle straight to Edinburgh via Falkirk or to head up Tarbet way for a shorter haul overnight stay.

I was wondering if anyone has any good camping spots (wild or otherwise) near Edinburgh or Tarbet? Im trying to do this on the cheap but welcome any cheap B & B suggestions.

suffolkcindy

Rode past a campsite south side of edinburgh this week called mortonhall. Was given a little tourist map of all campsites in tourist information and that was the only one on it near edinburgh. Said it took tents.

I stopped in Mortonhall on my way south through Edinburgh on this years tour.
It was £11.50 per night for one person on a bike with a one man tent.

OP
OP
depthcharge001
Hi All,

Complete newbie here. I live in the Glasgow area and have recently been doing some day trips out to places like Bowling, Clyde Bank, Loch Ness and Falkirk on the bike using the forth and clyde canal way (great beginner route btw) and Im looking to go further afield. Just got my one man tent and camping gear and want to try an overnight stay so was planning on using the canal path to cycle straight to Edinburgh via Falkirk or to head up Tarbet way for a shorter haul overnight stay.

I was wondering if anyone has any good camping spots (wild or otherwise) near Edinburgh or Tarbet? Im trying to do this on the cheap but welcome any cheap B & B suggestions.

*Loch Lomond not Loch Ness. Making that in a day from Glasgow is still way beyond me.

toroddf

Mortonhall is better known for its crematorium rather than the camp site.:sad:

Hmmmm....... A camp with a crematorium. That is what we were warned against at school by the few old men who survived them.

There is plenty of wild camp sites from Inverbeg to a couple of miles before Tarbet on the old road, now an excellent cycling road. Just show discretion and don't make a mess. Don't camp in the middle of the road. Leave the place as you found it or even better.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There are at least 4 I can think of scattered about the country, although, coming to think of it, some are actually Tarbert, not Tarbet.

toroddf

Tarbet, Argyll and Bute.

There are two of them in Argyll & Bute. The one you meant at Loch Lomond and which my advice covered. The second/most pretty one is at Loch Fyne and is a much used village and ferry port on the Kintyre peninsula. Then you got the Isle Of Harris one. Also a ferry port with ferry to Uig on Skye.

I have been to all three of them more than three times and at the same bike ride. That makes me a very sad, lonesome person.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi depthcharge

I did a 650km solo audax last year Edinburgh, Oban the Highlands and back to Edinburgh in three days. I turned up at Edinburgh when the festival was on. Accommodation was impossible. I cycled out of town and found the Cammo Estate https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ca...F-8&ei=N2sNUJ6lNNGr0AXW0OnDCg&ved=0CE4Q_AUoAg. It was perfect. So I pitched the tent

Apart from having to cycle back to Edinburgh in the morning to get a validated reciept and then on my way to Oban

Top Bottom