Wild swimming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try swimming in the river Etive in May or June when the sun heats the water as it runs over Rannoch Moor. There are some fantastic pools about 2-3 miles downstream from the road junction, deep, with a variety of natural ledges off which you can dive safely, long enough for a good workout, warm enough to stay in for ages and with chilly little burns pouring in direct from the hillside above.

Or go to South Africa and try Kloofing (canyoning) in the Magaliesburg mountains, north of Johannesburg. Fantastic two-day trips with jumping, abseiling, overnight camps...

Stephenite

Membå
Anyone been for a dip yet this year?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm holidaying near Windemere at end of summer holidays, anyone been for a swim in it? Doesn't seem to be unusual there, and wetsuit/no wetsuit?
It wasn't called 'wild swimming' at the time, but in February 1985, I dived into Windermere from the jetty outside the youth hostel (Ambleside), wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was for a £5 bet :smile: Not sure how long I was in the water, but I may have broken the world record for getting out quick.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I'm holidaying near Windemere at end of summer holidays, anyone been for a swim in it? Doesn't seem to be unusual there, and wetsuit/no wetsuit?
We often go for a skinny-dip in Lazy Bay, which is on the western side near Cunsey. It is hard to get there without a boat. Sometimes outside Wray Castle boathouse, if we get there early. Both of these are well away from the main currents so slightly warmer.

Stephenite

Membå
DSC_0531.JPG

Couldn't resist it :smile: This afternoon in me nuddies in the Oslofjord. Water temperature a refreshing 13 C.

ayceejay

Guru
When I was a kid the local 'swimming pool' was at a bend in the river, there were concrete slabs on the bottom near shore and even a diving board. One time they changed the course of the river (Avon) and cut a narrow passage through the bank temporarily. The water that normally went through a 25 foot wide channel was now going through a 5 foot wide cut - now that was wild swimming. We had fun every summer until a couple of kids got polio or impetigo due to pollution and then all bets were off.

Top Bottom