Wilier E-Adventure Gravel E-Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Ribble CGR comes in an ebike maybe worth a look.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are a couple of Cannondales with the Bosch motor, the Giant roadie ebike with their version of the Yamaha motor, and probably several others.

The Wilier looks a decent price, it's cheap partly because the separate look of the battery is now rather 'last year'.

Most of the batteries on the other bikes have a more integrated appearance.

The push bike parts will be of similar design and quality, so that's a matter of preference.

The Shimano motor should do the job, it's their better model originally designed for MTBs.

I've ridden the cheaper one, nothing wrong with it, but none of the crank drives are as smooth as the Bosch in power delivery.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
There are a couple of Cannondales with the Bosch motor, the Giant roadie ebike with their version of the Yamaha motor, and probably several others.

The Wilier looks a decent price, it's cheap partly because the separate look of the battery is now rather 'last year'.

Most of the batteries on the other bikes have a more integrated appearance.

The push bike parts will be of similar design and quality, so that's a matter of preference.

The Shimano motor should do the job, it's their better model originally designed for MTBs.

I've ridden the cheaper one, nothing wrong with it, but none of the crank drives are as smooth as the Bosch in power delivery.

£2K is right at the top of how much i would spend on another ebike, so i really dont want to go above that.
Also, rightly or wrongly, id rather have a Japanese motor over Bosch. I just have more perceived faith in the reliability of Japanese manufacturer over German. This has mainly come from my experience in cars & motorcycles, but Bosch have had their issues and they make it difficult by refusing to sell certain parts direct to the customer.
Biggest issue for me with this Willier, is whether it will fit and not being able to test ride one, but this goes for a lot of ebikes. The Willier only goes up to large size for this price, in many bikes i need an XL.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I bought my first Bosch ebike from Rose in Germany in 2012 there was no UK service.

Tended not to need it because the motor is fairly reliable.

Things have improved, but only in the last few years.

My local dealer can now do Bosch diagnostics and get spares - what an innovation.

It's true you cannot go far wrong with Shimano, the stuff is reliable, and there is a well established route to service via Madison.

Even if the shop doesn't know much about the motor, they can at least send it away to be fixed.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
Went and had a look at the Giant Fastroad E today. They had a few sizes in stock at Bicycle Chain and i was able to sit on an XL.
What i'm finding with the ebikes with rigid forks i've tried, is that the riding position is more flat bar road bike and they just aren't comfortable for me, as i cant get the bars high enough. I had this problem with the Boardman HYB E i test rode.
So far it only seems to be certain rigid fork unassisted hybrids like the Cannondale Quick i recently bought, that fit me right. Maybe i should just fit a CD kit to that, which would only cost me around £600.
Pretty sure this Willier only going up to large, wont work for me.

tom73

Guru
Have Trek anything that may shut you ?

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
Have Trek anything that may shut you ?

Not sure, the only Trek ebike they had in there was a hybrid with front suss, but with the front raised for the suspension the riding position was much better for me. The same with the Giant Explore ebike, that fitted me great as well.
But i was hoping to get rigid forks.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
you need a fork that hasn't been cut, so you can set the stack to suit

For rigid fork bikes to fit me and to be comfortable for me, i really need a decent length head tube on the frame and also a decent length steering tube on the fork. This will have a good few spacers under the stem, enabling me to have the height of the bars slightly higher than the seat. The seat is always high for me as i'm 6'1" and have 34" inside leg.
I can find many unassisted hybrid bikes like this to fit me, but so far not in rigid fork ebikes. So far It mostly seems to be the ebikes with front suss that fit me best.
If i cant find what i want, i shall go the route of fitting an ekit to one of my current bikes.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
Its by far the cheapest option :okay:

Yes, the more i think about it, the more i think this is the best way to go.
Probably Tongsheng 250w TSZD2 with 400wh batt. Which i can get complete for around £650. This kit would fit either my Giant Defy or my Cannondale hybrid, the latter probably being the best donor bike.

Top Bottom