Will 25c's work for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
Hi Cycleops,

Thanks for the advance, it's quite counter intuitive for wider tyres to give better rolling resistance. I'm quite reluctant to change brands though, my rides are long and my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are really durable.

The M+ tyres are just about the heaviest, slowest tyres you could be using and changing from 28 to 25 will hardly be noticeable. I had M+ on one of my commuter bikes for a while, but I found the grip just not good enough for winter conditions. I'd recommend Continental GP 4 Seasons as a good balance of light weight, good grip in all weathers, and durability. I commuted on them for years, as well as doing many endurance events and club rides.

There are other makes that others prefer, and I've had good service from Schwalbe and Bontrager tyres too. Switching to a lighter, more supple tyre will really make a difference to the ride, and if you make that switch, you will benefit from staying with the 28mm width.

si_c

Guru
You won't have any reduction in rolling resistance by moving to a narrower tire - you'll have to raise the pressure 10-15psi to keep the same air volume - and at that air volume the contact patch the tire makes with the road is the same for a 25c and 28c tire. The shape of the contact patch is different though - longer and thinner compared to shorter and wider. What will happen is that you will find is that there are suspension losses at higher pressures which result in reduced long term comfort and this means you will go slower over a longer distance.

The only argument being made now for 25c tires is aerodynamics, but even that is no longer being pushed so hard - my carbon aero wheelset is designed around a 28c tire - they recommend a 25/28 tire but the 28 fits flush with the sides of the rim so there is an aero benefit there.

In terms of rolling resistance from what I've read the sweet spot is around 30c - this is where you are geting all the comfort and rolling resistance benefits but the aero disadvantage is of least concern. If you were riding at 40km/h all the time then a 25c tire might be of benefit, but then you probably wouldn't be riding on badly maintained and pot-holed british roads either.

Yes just look at the tyres. Marathons are bombproof but heavy to get rolling.

Slick wide tyres will be faster but more prone to p*nctures.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to 25s from always using 23s and this time of year causes some problems. Leaves getting stuck to the wheels always make me think I've had a puncture as the whistle they give rubbing against the bottom of the fork sounds eerily like the escape of air and this happens several times a ride - depending on where I'm riding, obviously. This happened much less frequently with 23s as there was slightly more clearance.
I've got adequate clearance with 25s on my CAAD5. There is just about enough clearance to squeeze larger tyres on, but I would definitely suffer the same problem if I tried so I won't bother.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@MBurton - like others have put it's the tyres that make the difference, not necessarily the width. I tend to run 23/25mm but in the winter run 28mm as they're just that bit wider.

Marathon's are puncture proof but heavy and slow. You'll notice the difference going to Continental GP4000 / 5000 or Schwalbe Durano tyres in terms of rolling resistance. If you want a but more protection try Continental GP 4 Seasons - available in 25 and 28mm.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi, from just next door :hello:

My advice is to stick with the 28s, or even go bigger. The roads are crap around here and your riding will be a lot more relaxed if you are not so worried about dinging your rims all the time.

I run 32s on my commuter because they are the biggest that will fit, but on my best, carbon, leisure ride bike I run 35s and trust me they are certainly not slow.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
As others have said, swapping to a different tyre will make more of a difference then size. I run pirelli cinturato velos in 32mm on my winter bike as they have a good balance between good puncture resistance and a decent rolling resistance. I have GP5000s in 25mm on my summer bike, and schwalbe pro ones on my TT bike in 23mm. If I could go to 28mm on my summer bike I would. I might be able to squeeze 25mm on my TT bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One other observation. My LBS has lent me a front wheel - long story. Currently I'm running a 28 tubeless on the back and a 30 tubed on the front.

The improved comfort from the 30 is noticeable with no perceived increase in rolling resistance.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
So I think the consensus is: yes I could switch down to 25s but probably shouldn't, it'll make little difference and it might be better sticking at 28 and trying a different tyre.

Thank you!

^_^

Absolutely. Test a few and you'll find ones you prefer. It's an 'individual thing.

My 16yo likes Durano Etape's because he can slide them round a corner :blink: and GP4000 S2 tubs for racing.
Me? I like Conti's GP4000 but aren't so keen on their 5000 replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom