Will 25c's work for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
I'm considering changing my tyres down from 700x28c to 700x25c.

My wheels have a rim width of 20mm, will this width accommodate 25c tyres?

I have read on Wiggle that "To get the best feel and fit, the tyre must be wider than the width of the rim - measure your rim width and ensure you get a tyre size that is bigger. " This suggest to me that downsizing would be ok but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion.

Many thanks

Burton

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Unless you are racing, or struggle with clearance why would you even consider downsizing? Genuinely curious

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
Hi Eziemnaik,

I've been using 28s for awhile now and want to try 25s. I cycle a fair bit and want to see if the reduced rolling resistance is noticeable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
You'd be fine but why? Better sticking with a 28 - more comfy ride and little or no difference in rolling resistance over a 25 - some will argue better rolling resistance

Hi, it was actually just in the hope of decreased rolling resistance, I've been on some pretty long bike rides recently and wanted to see if the benefits of thinner tyres would outweigh the comfort cost.

Also my replies take ages to come through, I think it's because I'm a new member. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just stuck 25's on from 23's and really should have gone 28 given the roads. Didn't know if they would fit my classic bike. That's run 18c upwards, so your rims will be fine.

The only difference is the tyre was much cheaper than the expensive one previously, but I'm not racing anymore.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
Many racers have gone over to 28c as it's believed they give better rolling resistance compared to 23/25. If you do change you'll notice little difference. Another brand may give different characteristics.

Hi Cycleops,

Thanks for the advance, it's quite counter intuitive for wider tyres to give better rolling resistance. I'm quite reluctant to change brands though, my rides are long and my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are really durable.

CXRAndy

Guru
I do love wider tyres. I usually run 40mm tyres for general riding. For other events I run 25mm but on a wide internal rim width 21mm to give the tyre a wide 28 mm profile. I would never consider anything less than 25 mm on tubeless these days.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I went to 25s from always using 23s and this time of year causes some problems. Leaves getting stuck to the wheels always make me think I've had a puncture as the whistle they give rubbing against the bottom of the fork sounds eerily like the escape of air and this happens several times a ride - depending on where I'm riding, obviously. This happened much less frequently with 23s as there was slightly more clearance.

Dan77

I'd expect you to get more benefit by changing from the marathon plus tyres if you're pushing for marginal gains like that. They're a good strong tyre and I've just fitted some myself but they're heavy and have more resistance than some other tyres.

Also, it really is the wrong time of year for reducing your tyre width. I wouldn't go below 28 anyway but if you're going to then why not wait until summer?

DRM

Guru
There will be no difference, I’d stick with 28 mm personally and have the comfort, you’re going to have more pressure in 25mm tyres, so it’ll just seem like your going faster, when really your just being given a harsher ride

Top Bottom