Will A 11-28 Cassette Fit On My Secteur Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I fitted a MTB cassette with a 34 tooth bottom cog, but it was because I had a compact chainset rather than a triple, I also needed a mtb derailleur and a new chain. If I had a triple chainset I would get the smallest granny ring I could (24 tooth?) and use it as a double chainset plus a granny, rather than a triple

Is the front mech fine if a really small inner chain ring is used? I also wondered if my existing rear mech would be able to take up the extra chain length that a smaller inner chain ring causes. Is this what a long cage rear mech is for, or is it for clearing the larger sprockets on a 11-32 cassette for example or both?

If you measure the distance between chain ring bolts and they the same on both bikes, then I can't see why not.
If you only need it as a 'bail out' option then it could be worth going for a 26t as a 28t might not give you a much lower gear as you have now.
I think the downside would be slightly rougher changes between middle and granny ring, but you wouldn't need a longer chain like you would if you go for a bigger cassette :thumbsup:

Potsy as I mentioned in my reply to Alun's post do you think that the existing Tiagra rear mech would be able to take up the slack from 26t chain ring, or is it just trial and error. Thanks again.

potsy

Rambler
Is the front mech fine if a really small inner chain ring is used? I also wondered if my existing rear mech would be able to take up the extra chain length that a smaller inner chain ring causes. Is this what a long cage rear mech is for, or is it for clearing the larger sprockets on a 11-32 cassette for example or both?

Potsy as I mentioned in my reply to Alun's post do you think that the existing Tiagra rear mech would be able to take up the slack from 26t chain ring, or is it just trial and error. Thanks again.

Can't really help with this Cheesney, am only comfortable advising what I did, so know it works.
Maybe you can be the guinea pig? ^_^

e-rider

crappy member
sorry to hijack this thread but....

will a shimano 105 5600 short cage rear mech work with a 28t max sprocket? Shimano say 27t is the max and at the time they only produced 12-27t cassettes. Now they produce 11-28t cassettes and the extra 1t could be useful for very steep hills such as 25% (1:4) as I only have a 39t inner ring. Someone in this thread suggested that shimano advice is conservative so a 28t should be ok?

Alun

Guru
I wouldn't like to advise about a triple setup because I haven't set one up, but if a triple front mech won't work with a 24 tooth chainwheel what else could you use? There are 2 things to consider with the rear mech, one is that it clears the largest sprocket and also that it can cope with the difference in teeth between the chainwheel and the sprocket. There are technical documents on Shimano's website that give all the specifications. There are both short and long drop ROAD rear mechs, but also MTB rear mechs which are all long drop. I think you would need a MTB rear mech to manage a 11-32 rear cassette.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a really dodgy knee following 2 major surgeries and am looking to get back on my bike again for the first time since November. Although my bike is a triple I could really do with more gears until I get used to hills again if my knee improves that is. I think it currently has an 11-25 cassette, it's a 2010 Secteur Sport 9 speed with Tiagra groupset. Will this make a bit of difference or should I go bigger and get a new rear mech. Or will will a 11-28 fit my existing rear mech anyway? I take it I will also need a chain too. Thanks for any advice, looking forward to getting back on the bike.

My bike is a Scott Speedster triple, it came with 11/25 on the back(Shimano 105) .I changed it to 11/28 without changing the rear mech but did fit a new chain as I needed one anyway.

It all works fine even if I stupidly use the big cog with the big chainring or small with small. The extra 3 teeth make a big difference on long climbs, I tend to climb seated spinning easilly rather than standing grinding a bigger gear.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Quite surprising how far you can push the limits on the Shimano mechs.
Like others on this thread I wanted seriously low gears... like, never mind just a granny gear, what I needed was gearing for granny's old invalid mother!

I managed to get a medium cage road mech set up (and not the most recent higher capacity models either) to work with a 50-38-26 front AND an 11-32 9 speed MTB cassette. You have to make sure there is enough, but only just enough, chain to run 50/32 and if everything is adjusted just right there is just enough wrap left to cope (abeit noisily) with 26/11

I only tried this for a short while, but regularly run that bike with 50-38-26 front and 12-30 cassette.... A serene 60 rpm in the lowest gear gives me just over 4 mph and then on the steepest gradients all I have to worry about is keeping the front wheel on the ground.

Top Bottom