Will A 11-28 Cassette Fit On My Secteur Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have a really dodgy knee following 2 major surgeries and am looking to get back on my bike again for the first time since November. Although my bike is a triple I could really do with more gears until I get used to hills again if my knee improves that is. I think it currently has an 11-25 cassette, it's a 2010 Secteur Sport 9 speed with Tiagra groupset. Will this make a bit of difference or should I go bigger and get a new rear mech. Or will will a 11-28 fit my existing rear mech anyway? I take it I will also need a chain too. Thanks for any advice, looking forward to getting back on the bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm pretty sure that potsy did that last year so check with him - potsy? :hello:

A 28t would give you a bottom gear about 11% lower than that which you currently have so it is a significant change.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought the same cassette but have yet to fit it. I think it should work with a Shimano 105 triple as the chainrings and the long cage rear mech. I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that the "tooth number rules" that Shimano publish are quite conservative. People say you can push them by two or three teeth without severe shifting problems.

EDIT: Sorry...my post assumed a ten speed...

potsy

Rambler
I've been 'pinged' by Colin.
I have the same triple and when it was time for a cassette change, put a 12-26 on to give me a slightly lower bottom gear.
I then decided to change the 30t granny ring to a 28t (cost about £7 from Spa) this lowered it even more.
Next change is a 12-27 Tiagra cassette which I believe is the limit for the current rear mech, though you might get away with a 28 but can't guarantee it :thumbsup:

I can now get up any hill with ease*

* May be a lie :giggle:

Edge705

There are some considerations I presume you will already have a short cage derraileur? if so you might find it is too stretched on the 28 tooth and if you tried to get over that by allowing more chain length then you might find the chain too slack on the 11 tooth - I did the upgrade last year to 11-28 I ended up having to get a medium cage derraileur but at the same time I changed the front chainrings to 50/34 and have to say thats made a big difference to my knee pain which is all but gone. In my opinion its the front chainset that eases knee pain (reducing) rather than increasing the back but Im no expert. Also remeber the bigger the step up between cogs the less efficient and more cluncky the gears for example once you add the 28 unless you have 27, 25, 23, ect ect the transmission will not be as smooth and most 11-28 go 25 to 28. In the end I went back to 11/25 on the back to get rid of the clunky'ness and I found their didnt appear to be much difference between 34/25 and 34/28. Alun on here recomends an MTB cassette as an upgrade so pm him and see what advice he can offer that might suit you better

potsy

Rambler
Just being nosey... Did you put the tiagra groupset on yourself? I thought the sport came with Sora.

Or now I think about it Sora groupset with a tiagra rear mech?
My Sport came with a Tiagra rear mech and cassette, Sora shifters :thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Potsy, do you think a ten speed 11-28T on the rear, and 50/39/28 on the front would work with a Shimano 105 long cage?

Thanks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have the same triple and when it was time for a cassette change, put a 12-26 on to give me a slightly lower bottom gear.
I then decided to change the 30t granny ring to a 28t (cost about £7 from Spa) this lowered it even more.
Next change is a 12-27 Tiagra cassette which I believe is the limit for the current rear mech, though you might get away with a 28 but can't guarantee it :thumbsup:

Ha ha - my memory is so bad ... You reminded me of all this on the last ride, didn't you, and I still managed to forget!

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Just being nosey... Did you put the tiagra groupset on yourself? I thought the sport came with Sora.

Or now I think about it Sora groupset with a tiagra rear mech?

Yes you are correct mate it came with a Sora/Tiagra Mix (Tiagra rear mech & cassette and Sora shifters & front mech) but I upgraded the shifters at a considerable cost to new Tiagra shifters as I thought that I might want to change gear on the drops. In practice I still hardly ever used the drops but they look much better. I still have a Sora front mech but that works great so I am not bothered about that. I also put Mavic Aksiums on it at the same time. Thanks for all the great advice, that is interesting about changing the inner chain ring. Maybe I should just push it up bad hills.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Potsy if I was to buy a smaller inner chain ring do I just get a 28t and they are all a standard fitting? After a quick look is this one?

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s149p244

Alun

Guru
I fitted a MTB cassette with a 34 tooth bottom cog, but it was because I had a compact chainset rather than a triple, I also needed a mtb derailleur and a new chain. If I had a triple chainset I would get the smallest granny ring I could (24 tooth?) and use it as a double chainset plus a granny, rather than a triple

potsy

Rambler
If you measure the distance between chain ring bolts and they the same on both bikes, then I can't see why not.
If you only need it as a 'bail out' option then it could be worth going for a 26t as a 28t might not give you a much lower gear as you have now.
I think the downside would be slightly rougher changes between middle and granny ring, but you wouldn't need a longer chain like you would if you go for a bigger cassette :thumbsup:

Top Bottom