will any modern frame fit 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi
i'm looking to build a bike around the new ultegra R8000 11speed

will i be able to fit it to any newish frame
i will likely buy a used frame, maybe something like a cannondale synapse

anything i need to be wary of?

thanks

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, it'll fit.

HTH.

If your frame comes with wheels then you may encounter compatibility problems with the rear wheel. If it has a 10 or 11 speed cassette then it should be ok. Any fewer cogs on the cassette, then you may need a new wheel or rear hub to accommodate an 11 speed cassette.

Apart from that you should be ok.

Graham.

Nyooome-nore

The frame rear axle is a fixed width (135/130mm if I remember correctly). Cassettes with more cogs in just sit them closer together, as such you will need to get a chain that's is rated for the number of cogs on the cassette as they are made to different widths, more cogs = thinner chain.

As said above by Tenacious Sloth, the main compatibility issue you will come across is the rear wheel, as the freehub the cassette fits onto comes in a few varieties for for some manufacturers, and some wheels are made to fit smaller cassettes so might not fit your larger 10/11 cog cassettes.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
The frame rear axle is a fixed width (135/130mm if I remember correctly). Cassettes with more cogs in just sit them closer together, as such you will need to get a chain that's is rated for the number of cogs on the cassette as they are made to different widths, more cogs = thinner chain.

As said above by Tenacious Sloth, the main compatibility issue you will come across is the rear wheel, as the freehub the cassette fits onto comes in a few varieties for for some manufacturers, and some wheels are made to fit smaller cassettes so might not fit your larger 10/11 cog cassettes.

ah right so the distance between rear dropouts is standard then...
wasn't sure how they accommodated for more sprockets just

i have ultegra wheels i'll be using so should be all good there

Nyooome-nore

I think that with wheels for wider / more cog cassettes, you will need to fit a spacer as some lower cog-count cassettes are physically narrower. Your LBS/someone who knows more than me on here/a little fascinated googling will set you right.

Top Bottom