Will be doing my first commute on Wednesday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Skirt?????? ME??????? :biggrin::eek:;) Not going to happen! Our office is sort of smart casual, no jeans, trainers etc, but not the full suit look either. I think while it's still fairly cold, I'll probably get away with just taking a pair of work trousers, but once it gets warmer, I don't want to sweat through the office tops before I've even started... Again, no storage space or personal lockers means I can't leave fresh clothes at work, but again, hopefully it will become a routine fairly quickly...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Good luck...

c2c

redredrobin
punkypossum said:
The famous office move got delayed time after time, but it looks like there is no further stay of execution :wacko: I'm actually quite nervous, the whole thing is only about a 10 mile round trip, with the way there a very pleasant route mainly through the park...the way home on the contrary is along main roads after 10pm, so not looking forward to that!)

In a way I'm looking forward to it, because it means I get some base miles in on a daily basis (even if it's only a measly 10) and it will be a nice way to clear my head after work, on the other hand it is a bit of a pain - currently I have a short 20min walk to work, which takes me through the town centre, so I can get bits of shopping, trips to the bank, library, etc done on the way. Now I have to ride to the sticks, take an extra set of clothes, etc. and am stuck with the rather infrequent busses if I can't ride for whatever reason....Also quite worried about the bike being locked up outside all day...

Heyho, it might be fun after all...Wish me luck!!!!

fair play to you...... nothing measly about 10 miles, mine is only a mile longer.... i do shift work and riding home just after ten is ok, not much traffic, just make sure you can see, and be seen. good luck PP

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't start moaning.... I worked 30 miles away for a fair few years, got fed up....decided life change, then got a job nearer.....

Stuff the job...you are a nice commute now....WHOOOOO !

I often get into work looking like a sweaty monster.... stuff dripping off..... no showers...but 10 mins later...SORTED..... baby wipes..........

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hope you did alright Punky. It was a blowy, wet commute for me this morning (one of those rounding the cape in a whaler experiences) but still better than not being on the bike...

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, it's all gone a bit pearshaped...the line switchover was put backwards, so I need to wait for a phonecall to let me know if it's actually worked....Due to the timings it would mean that I would hardly manage to get there for 4pm when I start, let alone any earlier to actually learn how to use the new system (training us in advance would have been too easy! ;)). So good old puddleglum has offered to whizz me up in the car as soon as I get the go ahead...

It's all a bit of a pain in the backside, but in a way I'm quite glad looking at the wind and the weather forecast that I don't have to cycle today. Not that the forecast looks any better for the rest of the week, but at least the switchover will be sorted by then...

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Oh well, it all went properly pear-shaped...got to new place with 5mins to spare only to be shipped back to the old office after a couple of hours because the voice-recording on the new system does not work...looks like we will possibly make another attempt next week, but back at the old office till then!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
No idea...the voice recording was the first reason they gave us when everybody else moved and we stayed, then it switched over to a problem with the bt lines, so I assumed the VR had been sorted - clearly I was wrong!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
It's all changed yet again...we got shipped back to the new place half way through my shift today, so we will definitely be there from now on, which means it's my first commuting day tomorrow - I can still take full advantage of this weeks bad weather, hooray! At least it's the monthly dress down day, so don't need to cart extra clothing around with me (apart from a fleece, it's icy in the new office) :tongue:.

Top Bottom