Will Cav leave Sky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oh, but if only he hadn't been forced to be Cav's slave, he could have won so many more stages himself!

:rofl:
c.f. Renshaw, Chichi, Goss - none of whom have complained AFAIK but have moved on to further their ambitions with a singular lack of success.
How about replacing Siutsou (who it could be deemed to have been un-needed ultimately) with Renshaw. Eisel and Renshaw to assist Cav should be enough with the way Cav is going!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think Yello makes a very good point about EBH. I don't know whether he sees himself as a having GC podium potential, but, if he does, then the time to move is now.

The concentration on the TdF (and the concomitant downgrading of the Vuelta and Giro) makes keeping good teams together more difficult. Suppose Brailsford says 'ok, Edvard, I think you can win the Giro next year - so we'll get you ready for that, and you can have a string of not-quite TdF riders to help you'. Or, having crunched some numbers when the 2013 TdF route is published he says 'Chris - we want you to win the Vuelta - we're backing EBH and Cav for the Tour next year'.

tigger

Über Member
Well the short aswer is nobody knows. The Brailsford comment has been spun way out of context, he merely stated IF Cav wanted to move away he'd understand and would not stand in his way - perfectly fair and sensible. My opinion is that Cav knew exactly what he was signing into and whilst the reality hit home in the early stages, the tour ended in an amazing high for him and he will still be there at least next year. But thats all it is, an opinion from an outsider.

There is no question that a sprinter's ambition will be compromised in a team with serious GC goals. BUT he still won 3 stages, could have contended two more if it weren't for crashes. He got 3 rather than 5 due to his own misfortune, not team compromise, and unless: a) Sagan's a cheat b) he is a flash in the pan or c) they change the points competition / sprint parcours dramatically - Cav won't be winning Green for some time I think. I'd also add that Sky only had 8 men for the majority of this tour, and comfortably won, so they may feel they can dedicate an extra man to Cav next year. They may also feel they can afford to help chase breakaways down more as their confidence grows. Sky wlll raise their ambitions and want multiple yellows as Brailsford has stated. He also said he wants this to be regarded as the greatest team ever. What better way to make this statement than to win on more than one front?

This is an amazing team and Cav will still want to be there next year I think

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well the short aswer is nobody knows. The Brailsford comment has been spun way out of context, he merely stated IF Cav wanted to move away he'd understand and would not stand in his way - perfectly fair and sensible. My opinion is that Cav knew exactly what he was signing into and whilst the reality hit home in the early stages, the tour ended in an amazing high for him and he will still be there at least next year. But thats all it is, an opinion from an outsider.

There is no question that a sprinter's ambition will be compromised in a team with serious GC goals. BUT he still won 3 stages, could have contended two more if it weren't for crashes. He got 3 rather than 5 due to his own misfortune, not team compromise, and unless: a) Sagan's a cheat b) he is a flash in the pan or c) they change the points competition / sprint parcours dramatically - Cav won't be winning Green for some time I think. I'd also add that Sky only had 8 men for the majority of this tour, and comfortably won, so they may feel they can dedicate an extra man to Cav next year. They may also feel they can afford to help chase breakaways down more as their confidence grows. Sky wlll raise their ambitions and want multiple yellows as Brailsford has stated. He also said he wants this to be regarded as the greatest team ever. What better way to make this statement than to win on more than one front?

This is an amazing team and Cav will still want to be there next year I think

I'm inclined to agree with the above.... but also with DZ regarding EBH, a rider who has very definitely "paid his dues" as a incredibly hard working domestique and really ought to be given a chance at glory for himself. Whether he has the wherewithal to be a GC serious contender or if he might go for a green jersey, inside or outside SKY remains to be seen.

tigger

Über Member
Im more curious if wiggo will sacrifice his own goals in the time trial to help cav win the road race, i think this will decide the relationship as much as anything

I was lucky enough to see the Paris finish and the TT on Saturday too. Wiggo looked so strong that I think he will commit 100% to the road race and still win the TT. He committed on Friday to Cav despite the most crucial TT of his life the next day. Wiggo was simply amazing on the Rue de Rovoli and onto the Place de la Concorde. He pulled for at least 700 metres and left everyone in his wake. Cav had already won the stage when Wiggo peeled off.

It was simply the most amazing sporting spectacle have ever seen - astonishing!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Wow... would have loved to be there to see Wiggo going at full gas under the flamme rouge... you could see by the looks on the faces of the other teams' leadout men that they were in danger of giving themselves a heart attack trying to keep up with him.

Tony Martin used to do a similar job for Cav at HTC and presumably would do the same at OPQS, but is he as quick over a kilometre as Brad?

d.

It's all speculation, need to wait and see how things look after next week. As for the TdF, I think I heard next years will be more mountainous or at least more summit finishes, so if sky are looking to make it 2 in a row then there will likely be less help for Cavendish than this year.
I punt on a move to OPQ or Greenedge might not be a bad idea.

trj977

Über Member
Cav will go to Man City, with Tevez coming the other way.

Adebayor will become Nicolas Anelka. He'll just wake up one day and be him.

Tom Daley will go to CFC as a direct replacement for Drogba. Drogba will become President of Ivory Coast.

Wiggins will leave Sky, start the Style Council and then move on to do some solo projects.

Voeckler will retire from bicycling to play Mork in a CanalPlus French-language remake of the 70s TV hit.

David Millar will start a Talking Heads tribute band. They will become bigger than the original band. David Byrne will start to dress and have his hair cut like Millar.

All of the above is true. Only a troll would doubt it.

:laugh: Post of the day

Nearly there

Veteran
Considering sky weren't after the green to win 3 stages Is still really good and to think he crashed out on one which he could have maybe went on to win so that would of been 4,then there was the one after the crash when He was edged out by Griepel so thats another one he maybe could've won so that would of been 5,Then the other flat stage when he got held up by that big crash and lost time on the group,so potentially he maybe could've ended up with 6 wins not bad eh?I know he didnt get the green but he still managed to equal stage wins with 2 riders who where there for the green and Goss didn't even get a look in.
Like many have said and even Cav himself Sky were after yellow for brad and the olympics for him,maybe next year sky will drop knees and siutsou and take Thomas and Swift for cav giving a chance at both jerseys.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I reckon he should get himself a move out after the olympics. The man is a winner and whilst he is a team player he must be frustrated.
When the stated goal of Sky is the GC, the resources have to be diluted accordingly which means Cav's share is pretty small. He would be better getting off to one of the teams that don't harbour GC aspirations and could devote the majority of the team to him and his goals like the old HTC days.
I would love to see him get the record of stage wins in the TDF, but if his victory count starts to diminish, don't forget each at edition of the TDF he is one year older and the new kids on the block are lining up behind him.

He's just won three stages, including the Champs. Is that really so terrible? If you're relying on what Brian Holm said....pfffft, he wants Cav for his team, he's not going to say nice things about the Sky/Cav setup.

Sky threw everything at a Wiggy win in this Tour. I reckon that with hindsight they could probably give Cav some more support and still sustain a GC attempt.

Blimey fella, you've changed your tune a bit from the TDF thread. But ain't that just the tour eh?

I, too, think he should move on and as far as his own agenda regarding stage wins SKY wasn't the right move, however explicit or not they may have made it out to him.

Blimey fella, you've changed your tune a bit from the TDF thread. But ain't that just the tour eh?

I, too, think he should move on and as far as his own agenda regarding stage wins SKY wasn't the right move, however explicit or not they may have made it out to him.
Look up 'hindsight' in the dictionary. I'm also talking about future Tours/GTs. Nothing inconsistent about anything I've posted on the subject. :rolleyes:

With the experience of this Tour behind them they could probably give Cav an extra leadout man and put a bit more effort into chasing breaks without compromising a GC attempt. They might still struggle to get green but it looks like he's after stages.

Look up 'hindsight' in the dictionary. I'm also talking about future Tours/GTs. Nothing inconsistent about anything I've posted on the subject. :rolleyes:

With the experience of this Tour behind them they could probably give Cav an extra leadout man and put a bit more effort into chasing breaks without compromising a GC attempt. They might still struggle to get green but it looks like he's after stages.

There you go...

fore·sight
(fôr
prime.gif
s
imacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
, f
omacr.gif
r
prime.gif
-)
n.
1. Perception of the significance and nature of events before they have occurred.
2. Care in providing for the future; prudence. See Synonyms at prudence.
3. The act of looking forward.

;)

Attachments

• prime.gif
    prime.gif
    55 bytes · Views: 47
Top Bottom